Hello everyone! I'm back....sort of!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Hello gang. After the loss of my entire collection a few years back, I quit the hobby as some of you may remember.

I had resigned myself to being done with amphibians as a hobby. In my absence I had worked very hard with state and federal entities about amphibian welfare in Nebraska. I wasn't very successful, but I tried.

I did finally finish my degrees in biology, chemistry, and biochemistry. It was difficult being a triple major, but I pulled it off by using my Post 9/11 GI Bill and VA VocRehab.

I am currently working on my graduate degree in Creative Entrepreneurship.

ANyway, my wife surprised me so well on my 40th birthday I had one of my infamous seizures. She tracked down and purchased a true wild type axolotl for me. It is a male,

While I kept and bred many species over the years, these critter have always been my favorite. I admit I cried a little bit because I have never had a true "wild type" Ambystoma mexicanum before. I had some melanistic (black) sort of wild types in the past, but never a species typical specimen.

The good news is after the horrific bug bomb disaster, I never got rid of all my tanks and equipment.

Sadly it appears times have changed drastically for the hobby. I really feel for those of you that worked so hard with the banned species list. I hope that some of you have the descendants of the critters I worked with all those years ago.

Anyway, this critter is a rescue and in pretty good health. he had the very early stages of a tail rot infection, but I was able to treat that immediately. He is doing great and chowing down on chopped nightcrawler as I write this.

It truly was a wonderful thing to dust off and clean the 20 gallon long I bought in San Diego in 2002 and put an axolotl back in it.

When I get done writing this, I will post an ad for an adult female. Hopefully I can get one before the weather gets too warm to ship.

I will not be posting much however, as I believe it is important the next generation of amphibian enthusiasts take over.

I have been lurking this site for quite a while after the loss of my extensive collection and am very happy to be back in it.

Hello Johnny,

I am very new to this forum, but spent several months visiting as a guest prior to purchasing my first axolotls, juvenile (approx. 3 inch) wild type and 2 coppers. Just over a month ago I collected another wild type and 2 leucistics from someone fairly local who needed to get rid of theirs. These 3 matured over Easter and are all male. As much as I love all of mine, I have a soft spot for the wild type, especially the juvenile who has a huge personality. :happy:

I found your post quite moving. Sorry to hear that you lost your collection, that must have been awful. You have also had such a busy time with your studies, congratulations on all of your achievements and best of luck for the future.

I think your wife is awesome to have managed to get you a true wild type. I hope that you manage to get a female. Do you intend to breed true wild types? Please update us and post some pictures if possible.

Wishing you all the best in everything that you do.
:happy:

Welcome back! I too have some 'true' wilds (i.e. not Humphreys), and I'd love to see pictures of yours. Mine are 5" juvies, I have 8 of them.

Hey Auntiejude, please could you post some pictures of yours too. I'd love to see true wild types. :happy:
By the way, why do you call the others "Humphreys"?

Welcome back Johnny. Many congratulations with your degree's. I am so glad your lovely wife has lured you back into the hobby :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back