Hello friends

Jaruso23

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I'm Joe,

I'm very new to salamanders and newts and joined here to learn more about them. I currenlty have a 75 gallon bioactive terraium with a running river and I'm looking in add some inhabitants to it soon.

It's actually a very neat setup with a big land mass held up by a false bottom. A pump pulls water out of one side of the false bottom and into the river feature. As the false bottom empties out that river water filters back inot into the false bottom on the left side createing full cicle around the tank. The is also an air stone burried under some rocks from the back left that keeps the water very airated. The attached picutre is after I first setup it up. It's grown in a lot but is mostly the same.

Oringally i wanted to get a ribbon snake to help cull my population of feeder guppies. But, the humidity is too high inside and id have to design a venting system which i dont want to do and if i did it would hurt the moss blahblah blah soi gave up on it.

Now im thinking amphibians. I still want something that will eat feeder guppies though. I'm fine also feeding crickets or isopods or worms from time to time as I also can produce those.

Any have suggestions of what i should put in here?? I was think red bellied salamanders or two lined salamanders. Something that can live its whole life in a tank this size.
20230418_212130.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I was think about them but had trepidations when I learned more about the skin toxisity. I dont plan on eating them but my malinois probably wouldnt think twice :ROFLMAO:
This setup has a full glass top though so i dont see anything escaping

I think most newts would love a set-up like this, and you could keep a lot of newts in a 75-gallon. Fire-bellied newts or marbled newts would do great in there, but you could get many other types too. My only concern would be making sure they cant get into the river filter on the right side of the tank. You may have to really stuff the exit with java moss or something to block their entry.

I'm not sure about salamanders as im pretty sure they like to dig

I almost got a spanish ribbed newt but i guess they need a lot more water than this setup

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back