Hello from me and Neptune to your and your precious axolotl

Ms Roman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys!
I've never actually posted on this site but all of your post have been very helpful for me and my little axolotl neptune... unfortunately he isntvfeeling very well his gills have curved forward, but I don't really think it's physical damage I think he is in shock but again I'm no expert.
2 days ago I cleaned Neptune's tank and I decided to add some rocks to his tank, now I know that these rocks have to be bigger than his mouth and I thought they were, yesterday I kept hearing some weird clicking noise from his tank so I set my baby down and I looked into his tank. Sadly enough he had tried swallowing the pebble but it was to big for it to actually go down but too but big for him to spit it out l, I freaked out and called my husband to help take it out before he died and my husband rushed in the room and picked him out of his tank. Neptune then freaks out and starts to squirm around and he fell on the carpet then my husband picks him up and looks into his mouth and there was nothing. I was worried he swallowed it but minutes later we found the pebble on the floor... I think he is in shock about the situation.... what can I do to make him more comfortable? Please help!!!

Gills that are curved foward is a sign of stress in axies. You might want to make the water flow in the tank more gentle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back