Hello!

KrmKendall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
Our family is new to Salamanders, but not new to herps in general. We have had Tim since Spring when he was still larval and he is lovely. He is an Eastern Tiger Salamander. My 11-year-old daughter wanted one for over a year before we got him.
He seems strong and healthy, eats a worm or 2 (or more) when offered and is growing well and developing more and bigger markings all the time.

I have been searching the forums and the facebook group for advice and there seems to be no good single answer about feeding frequency! All the care sheets say 2-3 times per week, so we have been unearthing him. He does not mind when my daughter does it but does not want anyone else to (she always washes first and rinses with dechlorinated water). She puts him in his water dish and feeds him there. When he's done, he leaves. I've seen people say not to dig him up and to let him tell us when he's hungry, but I have NEVER seen him come up on his own.
Any thoughts on that would be welcome!
Otherwise all is well. Thanks for having us!

Hi, welcome to the site! Tigers will overeat very easily once they get used to the finer things in life. He'll be begging at the front of his enclosure before you know it, so Id say keep an eye on his weight and just back off a bit if he starts to get pudgy rather than disturb him too much to offer him food.
Here's a good article on the basics. :)

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back