hello!

MatthiasIsAStar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm Matthias, I've had my Axolotl for almost 3 years now and I love him to death <3 He's just been moved to a very large tank and I've decided it's time for him to get a friend! He's a Golden albino morph and I'm trying to find a morph that would compliment his pretty light yellow/pink color, so if anyone has any suggestions of morphs I'd love them! I'm also trying to decide on if i should get a male or female friend for my baby boy, suggestions are much appreciated. I can't wait to get to know you wonderful people!! <3

I'm Matthias, I've had my Axolotl for almost 3 years now and I love him to death <3 He's just been moved to a very large tank and I've decided it's time for him to get a friend! He's a Golden albino morph and I'm trying to find a morph that would compliment his pretty light yellow/pink color, so if anyone has any suggestions of morphs I'd love them! I'm also trying to decide on if i should get a male or female friend for my baby boy, suggestions are much appreciated. I can't wait to get to know you wonderful people!! <3
hello!!
how many gallons is your new tank? i personally think that goldens and melanoids are a nice combo. if he's male, i recommend getting another male unless you're prepared for eggs. pictures of him and your tank are much appreciated!! he sounds lovely

hello!!
how many gallons is your new tank? i personally think that goldens and melanoids are a nice combo. if he's male, i recommend getting another male unless you're prepared for eggs. pictures of him and your tank are much appreciated!! he sounds lovely
It's 30, but compared to his old tank (it was 15 or 20 gallon i think) its quite a nice upgrade.
SsgtbM.jpg
CIdOpy.jpg

I've been thinking abt getting a melanoid, lavender, or axanthic copper not sure though :)

A 30g with two adults might prove more of a hassle to clean, TBH. If he's gone this long without a friend, he probably does not need one. You will need to quarantine any new friends being added to the tank to prevent disease transference. And if you get one of the opposite sex, you will almost certainly have eggs which you will need to deal with as well.

As for the morph, if you get him a friend, you should choose a morph that you want! Axolotls are animals, not decorations! Also, beware, sometimes adults may be more on the aggressive side and a "friend" could potentially become an added stressor for your current friend.

Anyway, that's all I can state. Not trying to discourage, but just trying to help you make a more informed and educated decision. :)

A 30g with two adults might prove more of a hassle to clean, TBH. If he's gone this long without a friend, he probably does not need one. You will need to quarantine any new friends being added to the tank to prevent disease transference. And if you get one of the opposite sex, you will almost certainly have eggs which you will need to deal with as well.

As for the morph, if you get him a friend, you should choose a morph that you want! Axolotls are animals, not decorations! Also, beware, sometimes adults may be more on the aggressive side and a "friend" could potentially become an added stressor for your current friend.

Anyway, that's all I can state. Not trying to discourage, but just trying to help you make a more informed and educated decision. :)
thank you so much for the advice, your input is very much appreciated!! I'm gonna try adding another little guy but don't worry! I have another tank ready in case anything goes wrong or it proves to much of a hassle in one tank for me. ( I may end up getting a younger axolotl and putting it in another tank, I'm still making that decision. also I'm rlly sorry if i come off as being sarcastic or rude im trying too, im just not the best at typing sometimes.)

and on the quarantining part how long should I quarantine?

Hello,
For tropical fishes, the usual quarantine is about a month.
For an axolotl, which is a cold water dwelling animal, I'd rather say 1,5 to 2 months.
Their metabolism is slow and diseases and parasites may evolve slowly.

Another point has been forgotten :
Your axolotl is 3 years old and is almost certainly adult.
If you get a smaller axolotl, there may be predation problems. Try to find an axie almost the same size.

Hello,
For tropical fishes, the usual quarantine is about a month.
For an axolotl, which is a cold water dwelling animal, I'd rather say 1,5 to 2 months.
Their metabolism is slow and diseases and parasites may evolve slowly.

Another point has been forgotten :
Your axolotl is 3 years old and is almost certainly adult.
If you get a smaller axolotl, there may be predation problems. Try to find an axie almost the same size.
omg im so sorry i worded that weirdly, if i get a smaller one i 100% would not put it with my other one

would be better getting another male as eventually with a female you would have to separate them.
make sure you get another axolotl of similar age and size, this is due to there being a large variability in sizes of adults and although a young axolotl may start of being similar sized it can soon be much larger and see the other as prey.
make sure the tank itself can also cope with an additional axolotl ie.. filtration, oxygenation etc..
although have axolotl of differing colours is nice having axolotls of similar colour will cause you to be more aware of your axolotls as you notice the differences between them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back