HELP!! With axolotl tank levels

Shaunie1234

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my axolotl for about 3 weeks now. I have been having issues with the levels in the tank. I have a 10 gal tank with 1 axolotl. I use a Tetra med filter, I use sand substrate, have 1 live plant, and a few marimo moss balls.
I am currently struggling with the nitrate and nitrite levels. I did a water change, cleaned the sand, and changed the filter about 4 days ago, and i just removed a live plant that seemed to be dead. But the levels have not got better, but worse since then. I am afraid that it will begin to take an effect on my axolotl buddy. I was struggling with the PH levels but with a newly added piece of Mopani drift wood it is finally reducing, and even though I did boil it, it is still releasing tannins so I have been doing 25% water changes every few days. Even with these water changed by nitrates and nitrites have not reduced.

In addition I have been using the Stress Coat fish and water conditioner, and the Tetra Easy Balance.

I am at a loss and don't know what to do to help with these level issues, please help with ideas!!

Chances are high the tank wasn't cycled when you put the put the animal in. You can cycle with the axolotl in the tank, it will just take a lot of work. Sometimes requiring two 50% changes a day.
Don't take out your filter media, that's where the beneficial bacteria live. If you have to clean your filter wash it out in tank water and not tap water. Beneficial bacteria will also live your decorations and substrate. You should only need to spot clean your sand for poop.
To help with ammonia you can buy filter inserts that help absorb ammonia. I had one in my tank for a while. Seachem Prime is a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chlorimins and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite while allowing them to still be available as food for the bacteria. That can help alleviate some of the toxicity problems while you cycle. I would switch to a normal decholrinator after the tank is cycled. Be aware that depending on the test you use Prime can throw false positives for ammonia. They have an article on their site about it which describes what test kits will throw these false positives.
The tannis aren't a bother, you can let them into your water. But you'll probably clear them out doing all of the water changes during the cycle.
Just watch your levels and note anything over .25ppm is toxic for ammonia and over .25-.50ppm is dangerous for nitrite. The cycle could take up to a month and a half to finish. Keep up on the cleaning of waste and water changes and you should be fine. If you feel like the waters are too dangerous you can always tub the axolotl while your water gets sorted out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back