Photo: I wanna see your feeding jars!

When you feed your axolotls.....

• I use a feeding jar.

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • I do not use a feeding jar and never have.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I used a feeding jar and now I don't.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I will use a feeding jar in the future.

Votes: 33 16.4%
  • I hand feed.

Votes: 100 49.8%

• Total voters
I have never heard of this idea until seeing this thread last night... so tonight I thought I'd try it out... It kinda worked...

I put the jar in , and then put a frozen block of blood worms in the jar... I also have little minnows in the tank (And no, they do not bite the Axie's gills)... Anyway... One of the minnows went into the jar to eat the worms, then Darwin the Axie, stuck her head in the jar so the minnow couldn't get out.... Then she gobbled him up haha.... then she backed out of the jar and left the blood worms there....

So I figure even if this doesn't help my Axie's eat the blood worms, then it's at least a good minnow trap for the Axies :)

Hi I was woundering if u using an old coffee jar would you just rince it out with warm water and that's it ?? Thanks

Second Law of Axolotls: Always sit on things. ALWAYS.

(the first being eat everything!)

Attachments

• 2012-05-24 19.06.40.jpg
    2012-05-24 19.06.40.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 676
I don't use a feeding jar, I hand feed other than if I feed them small things bloodworms. Whenever i feed them bloodworms I take a plastic container about the size of a shoe box and move one (by hand) into there. I like having the chance to handle my axolotls. And by giving them a special reward when they are being transported, they have become more docile and they won't freak out if you touch them otherwise.

Now doing simple tasks like having to transport them to clean their tanks and being able to turn them around n such to look at a injury isn't difficult and is way less stressful for me and the axolotl.

Thinking I may try this soon, I hand feed earthworm pieces, and then also two cubes of blood worms, I thaw the blood werms and then use a fork to create two seperate area with the worms, Stitch is very stingy or territorial or something, stitch will see Tater eating and walk over to Tater and bite em. Tater has learned this and will move before Stitch gets to close, But they both love the bloodworms and make a huge area covered in worms. They clean up ever single worm every time, I clean their tank daily with a net to capture all the Poop and left over food and All I ever find is poop. my only concern with a jar is that Stitch will corner Tater and go on the attack. I may try it and see how it works.

I've not fed them with it yet but what a lot of fun, they have totally explored it! I spent a good 10 minutes just laughing at them!
525525_282120261905771_514794784_n.jpg

I tried this with my axies... they don't care for it, works well for my African clawed frog though.

I've always hand-fed Godric. At least once a week I'll feed him in a separate tub (filled with treated water that is the same temperature as his aquarium).

I like to do this because 1) it keeps dirt and muck and such out of his tank and 2) it keeps him from accidentally taking a mouthful of sand (bleh) and 3) it's a good opportunity for me to check him out and make sure there are no cuts or bumps or fungi or anything. When he was regenerating, it made it easier to mark his progress and examine him. He seems to enjoy it, too. He always gets very alert and excited whenever he's in his feeding tub... it's kind of a let down for him when I just put him in there for travel or the fridge, but he's a good sport about it x)

At first I was particularly cautious about it because I don't like taking him out of the water at all, but I made sure it was only for a second and he hasn't shown any signs of stress, so I don't think it's a big deal to him. Some axies might respond to it differently, but he's a very tough little guy :)

So shes not IN the jar... But Fifi pressed up between her jar and the tank glass
cheva-albums-tank-2-picture25286-aaaand-fifi-just-being-weird-pressing-herself-between-glass-jar.jpg

I used a feeding jar for the first time today to feed bloodworms. I normally feed earthworms so use tweezers for those or pellets I just drop in. He used it straight away and gobbled them all up :D

Attachments

• 532459_10151289554954362_131493892_n.jpg
    532459_10151289554954362_131493892_n.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 501
After finishing breakfast & my jar of marmalade I decided to try this as the bloodworms escape into the sand & I have to hunt them down.

As you can see - success within seconds :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355613409.825622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355613424.101639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355613444.302193.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355613461.957257.jpg

I love this forum :) you're ideas people!

<3 >o_o< <3

Instead of a feeding jar, i use a food bowl
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355624189.888923.jpg

I don't use feeding jars, I don't need them as I handfeed them. The first time I tried to use my hand they didn't bite. But after a couple of times they started being interrested. At this time if I put my hand in my tank, they come swimming and start eating my fingers :D

Adorable...

They have hard mouths!

I'm not using them anymore. Don't know why. But here's an old vid when I had one.
(Yeah, the tank is a little messy/blurry I know, the sand in the tank was pretty new and not rinsed well...)

Axolotl crash - YouTube

Just found this bad boy in the parents garage. It's going to be my new feeding jar. It was too weird and awesome to pass up.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 444
I think I'm gonna use them again. :D

What a great idea! I've never heard of this so i figured i'd try it out today! Thank you for posting this!
Unfortunately, one of my axolotls got a little excited and went up to the jar with a chunk of still frozen bloodworms but for the most part, they both seemed to like having their own places to eat :)

IMAG0510_zps054fa75e.jpg

IMAG0518_zpsf150f6d1.jpg

Mac seems quite happy after diving in head-first and finding a pile of blackworms :D

Attachments

• IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 413
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back