larval spring salamanders floating after eating a large amount

PDONTnAMBY

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll try to keep this brief. Hopefully the pictures are helpful, but if better-lit pictures or a video of their behavior would be helpful let me know.
--
Two CB spring salamander larvae I purchased from a user here last spring are floating, head-upward and right-side-up to sideways (see pictures). Both received large meals of frozen bloodworms I think two days ago (Tuesday 2-Feb) and then received a medium-sized meal of frozen bloodworms yesterday.
For the time that I've had them they've been kept alone in roughly two-gallon shoeboxes. They do not appear to have generalized swelling or tissue edema, and to my very untrained eye their gills and viscera look normal (aside from a lot of partially-digested food and poop). While they're generally floating pretty still, they do occasionally try to swim to the bottom and they were active and responsive when I moved their containers.
  • They do not have any substrate or, I believe, anything else in their containers that they could swallow to cause impaction.
  • Their diet consists of frozen bloodworms, earthworms, and locally-sourced scuds (though of late it has been heavily biased toward frozen bloodworms). They are generally fed every third day or every other day; it was an unusual (and looking back, questionable) decision to feed them two days in a row.
  • Their water is bottled spring water (which I've confirmed from the supplier is in fact directly from a spring and not chlorinated or anything), with about 25% changes weekly and regular top-offs of evaporated water with distilled. I don't have any water testing kits available at the moment, and I've not had any issues with water quality to date, but to be safe I replaced about 25% of their water with water from other tanks whose animals are thriving.
  • Their water is aerated through an air hose without a bubble stone. I did notice that the air hose in each of their containers was submerged but not producing visible bubbles; is it possible that it could have instead been supersaturating the water with oxygen? That doesn't seem likely but I'm hardly an expert on fluid dynamics.
Right now I have their containers on the ledge of my cracked-open window, which with 36° air temp should be about perfect fridging temp. The air hoses are out; given the air temp and the fact that their containers have air holes in the lids, I'm not worried about under-aeration being an issue.

Beyond this makeshift "fridging," is there anything else that I can and should do for them? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• 20210204_094434.jpg
    20210204_094434.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
  • 20210204_094948.jpg
    20210204_094948.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210204_095102.jpg
    20210204_095102.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • 20210204_104009.jpg
    20210204_104009.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210204_104058.jpg
    20210204_104058.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210204_104108.jpg
    20210204_104108.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Happy update: Both sals are back to their normal bottom-dwelling, right-side-up selves. Neither has, ahem, eliminated yet, but they both look like they will soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back