My axolotl set up

DiceSan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iv'e since taken the plants out of the corners since my axie seems to like crawling around them/ and or getting stuck lol.

Light is on just for pictures :3

Everything is natural, sand substrate - mixture of tied on Anubias and moss balls for help with the tank ecology.
will be setting it up with some moss, frogbit and javaferns as well.

20160411_185250.jpg

Iv'e also since installed a spray bar for my fluval canister filter which is kept on really low. Axolotl is perfectly fine with it.

Looks gorgeous! :) I really love the white rocks and the black sand.

aha thanks again samantha. I had posted this up on my other thread too but figured I'd post it up over here for seperate tank discussions as well. :3

aha thanks again samantha. I had posted this up on my other thread too but figured I'd post it up over here for seperate tank discussions as well. :3

Yeah, exactly! :) It looks great! I have the opposite effect going on in mine, dark decor and white sand! I wanted the black sand at first but I figured it would make my wild type hard to see, haha :)

Yeah, exactly! :) It looks great! I have the opposite effect going on in mine, dark decor and white sand! I wanted the black sand at first but I figured it would make my wild type hard to see, haha :)

my exact thinking with my lighter axie - if i'd gone with a wild type I'd have picked the lighter sand too hehe.

The water is so clear that's crazy! Stunning tank! May have to copy you a little ?, can you maybe post a link to that filter? Sponge filters just aren't doing it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lovely set up. :happy:
I've also used the same brand of substrate in my tanks. I have a few different axolotl types (wild types, leucistics and coppers) and have used a mix of the one that you have, and the red sand, which makes it easier to see the axolotls, whatever colour they are.
I also have a spray bar on my filter and none of my axolotls seem bothered. I do point the spray bar towards the glass to reduce the water movement, which seems to work well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back