Nevermind Update:

GabbyGums

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found out the issue of what happened. As an owner for this Axolotl, Im changeing her habitat to make it alot safer for her which means Im changeing the plants and other stuff. So far there are both Hornwort and Egeria Densa(if anyone can confirm me thats safe so I don't take it out) within the tank. Im getting new water tests n everything except for my Axolotl's hiding places in this 20 gallon tank with one Axolotl.

Last edited:
It looks from the picture as though there may be a chunk missing from her tail rather than a dent. If there is a piece missing, I would recommend checking the aquarium for any thing at all sharp that she might have cut it open on and sanding/removing it. Depending on your tank size, she may also benefit from a larger tank.

Now if it is a dent, that usually points to stress related to either water quality or flow. You said the tests and temp seem good, but what specifically are your levels? Also, what kind of test kit are you using? Are you using hard or softened water? What kind of conditioner do you use?

As for flow, what kind of filter do you use? How big is the aquarium?

The Aquarium is 20 Gallons, Im gonna look around to see if theres anything sharp in the tank since I plan to clean one of her hiding places since it recently gotten dirty. The Water Tests I use are like these water strips but they are mostly tests for ammonia and other stuff but idk about conditoner? However I do have something to get rid of bacteria and ammonia and other stuff like it(which the place I got my axolotl from suggested me to use it), but mostly to get rid of the bacteria I use a moss ball which is in the aquarium. Idk about Filter since its already been awhile and my memory tends to forget things unless I schedule them but the filter has two sponges. One sponge that stops current and the other sponge to make sure my Axolotl doesn't get sucked up. The Tests last time I checked(which was like a day ago) were at 0 or something.

The Aquarium is 20 Gallons, Im gonna look around to see if theres anything sharp in the tank since I plan to clean one of her hiding places since it recently gotten dirty. The Water Tests I use are like these water strips but they are mostly tests for ammonia and other stuff but idk about conditoner? However I do have something to get rid of bacteria and ammonia and other stuff like it(which the place I got my axolotl from suggested me to use it), but mostly to get rid of the bacteria I use a moss ball which is in the aquarium. Idk about Filter since its already been awhile and my memory tends to forget things unless I schedule them but the filter has two sponges. One sponge that stops current and the other sponge to make sure my Axolotl doesn't get sucked up. The Tests last time I checked(which was like a day ago) were at 0 or something.
That size tank should be fine, as long as you only have one axolotl in it.

For your water testing, I would recommend getting the API master freshwater test kit. I used to have strips but they really aren't very accurate. You'll want to test your water around twice a week.

So you know, most conditioners for your water that are safe for fish are not safe for axolotls. Instead of adding chemicals to the water to eliminate ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, you should be doing water changes every week or every other week. Just siphon out around 25-50% of your water and add clean, dechlorinated water that is the same temperature. The recommended water dechlorinator/conditioner is Prime by Seachem, but I personally use Dechlor and haven't had any issues.

Keep us updated! Some water level readings would be helpful.

That size tank should be fine, as long as you only have one axolotl in it.

For your water testing, I would recommend getting the API master freshwater test kit. I used to have strips but they really aren't very accurate. You'll want to test your water around twice a week.

So you know, most conditioners for your water that are safe for fish are not safe for axolotls. Instead of adding chemicals to the water to eliminate ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, you should be doing water changes every week or every other week. Just siphon out around 25-50% of your water and add clean, dechlorinated water that is the same temperature. The recommended water dechlorinator/conditioner is Prime by Seachem, but I personally use Dechlor and haven't had any issues.

Keep us updated! Some water level readings would be helpful.
Okay I'll get that those two then instead of using water strips, its mostly one axolotl and a moss ball. Thank you for suggesting this to me! I'll get them around the time I change my axolotl's habitat which is this pretty much today or so since I had to take out one of the plants recently again cause I found a loose metal on it, without me realizing it when looking for the first time, which indeed cutted my Axolotl's tail :/
It seems it gotten loose recently when the tail thingy happened too

Okay I'll get that those two then instead of using water strips, its mostly one axolotl and a moss ball. Thank you for suggesting this to me! I'll get them around the time I change my axolotl's habitat which is this pretty much today or so since I had to take out one of the plants recently again cause I found a loose metal on it, without me realizing it when looking for the first time, which indeed cutted my Axolotl's tail :/
It seems it gotten loose recently when the tail thingy happened too
What kind of plants are you using that they have metal on them? Metals aren't safe for aquariums and can hurt your axolotls.

What kind of plants are you using that they have metal on them? Metals aren't safe for aquariums and can hurt your axolotls.
I got them at the pet store or something, they said they were good plants for axolotls(which I doubled check with my grandpa since he used to own a petstore with axolotls said they were good), Jelly the axolotl seems to like the plants. The Pet store used the metal to make the plants stay together or something but im now taking it apart after realizing its bad, the metal mostly I hid it but when I was cleaning something seemed to got out of hiding which I think it got loose by then

Last edited:
I got them at the pet store or something, they said they were good plants for axolotls, Jelly the axolotl seems to like the plants. The Pet store used the metal to make the plants stay together or something but im now taking it apart after realizing its bad, the metal mostly I hid it but when I was cleaning something seemed to got out of hiding which I think it got loose by then
Okay.. It's probably a good idea to get some other plants if you don't mind. I have all plastic ones with ceramic bases that you bury in the sand, but they're heavy enough to stay down by themselves without the sand if your tank is barebottom. I don't take them apart when I clean them. Just run them under water and rub them with your hands. An unused toothbrush is good to scrub the base.

Okay.. It's probably a good idea to get some other plants if you don't mind. I have all plastic ones with ceramic bases that you bury in the sand, but they're heavy enough to stay down by themselves without the sand if your tank is barebottom. I don't take them apart when I clean them. Just run them under water and rub them with your hands. An unused toothbrush is good to scrub the base.
alright! Well I was planning to get new plants, since im changeing the entire habitat for the Axolotl since I don't want it to happen again, but lemmie see if I can get information on the last plants that Jelly the axolotl seems to like mostly and I'll see if its actually good or not

alright! Well I was planning to get new plants, since im changeing the entire habitat for the Axolotl since I don't want it to happen again, but lemmie see if I can get information on the last plants that Jelly the axolotl seems to like mostly and I'll see if its actually good or not
Nvm I found the information or mostly what they look identical to, Hornwort? Are those good? Or what are plants mostly good for Axolotls

Nvm I found the information or mostly what they look identical to, Hornwort? Are those good?
Hornwort is a live plant. I don't have any live plants except for a moss ball, but I have heard of people using hornwort in axolotl aquariums. It should be fine

Hornwort is a live plant. I don't have any live plants except for a moss ball, but I have heard of people using hornwort in axolotl aquariums. It should be fine
Alrighty then! I have an moss ball as well, any plant suggestions I should get to make my axolotl safer?

Alrighty then! I have an moss ball as well, any plant suggestions I should get to make my axolotl safer?
Not really.. Sorry. Since I don't use live plants I'm not much help with that. I just use plastic since live plants need light, which may bother your axolotl, and they're a bit of a pain to take care of. They foul the water when they die, but if you can keep them alive and healthy they can be helpful. Good luck!

Not really.. Sorry. Since I don't use live plants I'm not much help with that. I just use plastic since live plants need light, which may bother your axolotl, and they're a bit of a pain to take care of. They foul the water when they die, but if you can keep them alive and healthy they can be helpful. Good luck!
Thx so much! I'll kinda stay with the dim light much and might think of plastic plants but mostly having another Aquatic animal that really hates plastic plants Ima prob stick with live plants since it might help get rid of bad things n stuff

Thx so much! I'll kinda stay with the dim light much and might think of plastic plants but mostly having another Aquatic animal that really hates plastic plants Ima prob stick with live plants since it might help get rid of bad things n stuff
Alrighty then. Is this other aquatic animal in the tank with your axolotl?

Java Fern is also a really good plant to keep with axoltotls. It's very versatile to a lot of environments. It does well in the temperature range, doesn't need a lot of light, and doesn't need substrate (it just needs to attach itself to wood or a rock or something).

Java Fern is also a really good plant to keep with axoltotls. It's very versatile to a lot of environments. It does well in the temperature range, doesn't need a lot of light, and doesn't need substrate (it just needs to attach itself to wood or a rock or something).
Thx! I'll get that then! Also is Egeria Densa good for Axolotls?

Thx! I'll get that then! Also is Egeria Densa good for Axolotls?
In terms of its ability to survive, it would probably do great with a little lighting. Unfortunately, it doing great is not really what you would want, because if you cut/trim it, the plant releases its sap which is known to be toxic to many aquatic creatures, and since axolotls are amphibians and amphibians absorb everything through their skin....let's just say that I wouldn't risk it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back