New Blue Spotted

bhill368

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey All,

I have been learning about herps for a long time now and have taken a special liking to Caudates. That being said, I have obtained a decent sized Blue Spotted Salamander (possibly a hybrid) and set up a home for them. Can you give me any pointers off of what I have done so far?

They are set up in a 30 gallon tank with a layer of larger rocks for drainage at the bottom, a layer of loamy sand soil on top of that, and leaves as a substrate on top ( I boiled these to cleanse them). I have a dish that I fill with new water frequently. Hiding places include some small logs and a sturdy rock formation. I wanted to make it as similar to the habitat I found it in. I am using spring bottled water. I plan on switching to well water.

For a diet, I haven't had much luck on feeding so far. However, I have noticed some disappearance of inverts such as snails, isopods, and earthworms; as days have gone by. I think they prefer hunting their own food.

Let me know what you guys think! I will attach some pictures once I have some!

Cheers!

I keep blue spots myself. Your set up sounds good. I'll just make a few comments.
Keep them cool, below 70f is preferable. Most midwestern basements are about right. High temps kill them.
Keep them moist. Mine are in a large planted vivarium, which I mist two or three times a week, in the evenings, just before I feed them. It seems to activate them.
After misting, I drop in some dusted 1/4" crickets, or small earth earthworms, chopped or whole depending on size. I also feed isopods. The only time I see the salamanders is at night, and when I hit them with a flashlight, they hide again. Although I do see them eating occasionally, the best indicators of the fact that they are eating is seeing plump sallys and disappearing crickets.
One more rule that I recommend following- do not handle, unless absolutely necessary. I believe that not handling them helps them feel more secure, feed better, and live longer.

Thank you! Living in Wisconsin, it is really easy to keep it under 70 for her. Especially this time of year. I transplanted some moss for her to hide under this week. I felt that it would be more suitable for her to hide under for her dormancy stage this winter. I appreciate the feedback! I'll send some pictures when I get back home today!

Lastly, I've been told by a few different people that crickets aren't the best food source for sals due to them not having enough nutrients in them. When they are dusted, is there enough nutrients for them then?

Thanks, that will help. I'm a big fan or worms too. However, due to the feeding habits of my girl here, it's hard to make sure she's eating them without disturbing her too much. I might come the crickets a try and see where that takes us. Thank You!

Here is a look at the set up I currently have for her. She seems really comfortable with how things are. Plenty of places to hide under moss, leaves, and my rock formation!

Attachments

• 20171027_083719.jpg
    20171027_083719.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 150
  • 20171027_083708.jpg
    20171027_083708.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 130
Nice setup, looks nice and natural!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back