New Lotl Mom. Help

RNkp17

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I am a new Lotl mom. Can someone be a second set of eyes for me and let me know if my axolotl Rosè looks pale/ jaundicey? It could all be in my head.

Attachments

• IMG_1672.mov
    29.9 MB
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Transparency is common with juveniles. Check your parameters. Make sure the edges of that hide are smoothed down as their skin can get easily cut up.

Hi I am a new Lotl mom. Can someone be a second set of eyes for me and let me know if my axolotl Rosè looks pale/ jaundicey? It could all be in my head.

Transparency is common with juveniles. Check your parameters. Make sure the edges of that hide are smoothed down as their skin can get easily cut up.
ok I still feel like something is wrong. could he be compacted? He continues to eat. Water parameters are good. Seems to be floating a lot

Attachments

• IMG_1681.mov
    32.1 MB
  • IMG_1679.mov
    41.2 MB
  • IMG_1678.jpeg
    IMG_1678.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
ok I still feel like something is wrong. could he be compacted? He continues to eat. Water parameters are good. Seems to be floating a lot
"Water parameters are good."
What does "good" mean? Floating could be a temperature issue.

because there are different views regarding whether water parameters are good (depending on where the information comes from ie.. reddit, facebook etc..) it is always better to confirm them.
because leucistics skin is semi transparent it makes it easy to see whether they are flushed, have eaten anything etc.., although this might be worrying it is quite normal.
provided he is defecating there shouldn't be much need to worry about compaction, if you are still concerned about compaction risk remove the sand for now (although be warned it will affect the tanks cycle to the degree that it may need recycling if removed), in the mean time ensure that the sand is regularly turned over to release any debris and gasses.
make sure that the water is well oxygenated and kept at a good temperature, gasping at surface can cause floating as can having the water at a too warm a temperature.
for levels/parameters... Water Quality Explained: How It Can Affect Your Axolotl's Health - WSAVA 2015 Congress - VIN

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back