Palmate newt larva covered in white swellings. Fungal infection?

Aristotle 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my palmate newt larvae has developed large white swellings on their body. They have also started to be active during the day. Does anybody know what it might be and if there is a way to treat it? I'm attaching a picture of the larva. They still apear to be very active.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,
Aristotle 2

1619434850963.png

Waht habitat are you keeping them in and how often do you change the water? Have you started feeding them yet?

I have recently separated this one from the others in case it is some infectious disease causing the swellings. They used to be in 30cm by 20cm tank with several (still herbivorous) tadpoles and a couple of fish hatchlings. The tank had no substrate but contained some rocks and weed. The water was changed once a week. They are now in a similar environment, though in a smaller plastic tub. So far I'm letting the various organisms in the water provide their diet, as I get the water from a pond.

That's good to source the water from the pond. Make sure you are changing the water daily though. Especially with this mystery thing. With plastic containers you HAVE to do 50% water changes daily. Have a filter (sponge filter if you can) for the big tank. With this condition, I might switch to declorinated water for the time being in the containers to make sure that it is not something in the water. You can still feed them mosquito larvae and such from the pond though. My pond I found mine in has a small section that Is very stagnant and I believe will kill things. It is muddy and red colored slime. I have found multiple dead frogs in only that one section. That's why I say switch to treated tap water until you know for certain, just a few days.

For the record, I am doing the same thing as you, raising and releasing newts. But my newts are in the eastern USA. So mine are quite different. Mine are toxic to other larvea and fish so I have not had anything other than food in my tank. Also, if your tank is over crowded (even as larvea) that could cause problems too. The tank I have is probably the same. I have 6 large newt larvea in it. I wouldn't keep more than 20 SMALL larvea in it. Even if you had 6 fish, 6 tad poles and 8 newts. You get the jist. But you will need more space. And soon!

Lol I have set up 3 tanks. A total of 80 larvea. 50 of which are only 4 days old though. They are in a tank that is 60cm x 24 cm. That's why they aren't over crowded... yet. But they will be in 3 weeks.

Attachments

• 20210426_111544.jpg
    20210426_111544.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 99
Thank you very much for your advice, I will switch to changing the water more regularly. The stagnant water shouldn't really be a problem though, as my pond is connected to quite a fast flowing stream, and the water is always clear, However, I'll bear in mind that if the water starts looking odd I should change it.

Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back