Question: Please check I'm doing this right!

Hart

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello all,
I recently bought this axolotl (I asked if he could be ordered in) - (See attached pictures) from my local pet-shop. I have used this forum extensively for researching prior to getting him, but now I need a little advice.

Water parameters are currently at 0 Nitrate and Nitrite and ammonia, and have been every time I've checked. pH is at 7.6 but my water appears to be a little hard, is this an issue?

I would also like help with sexing and ageing him, I've attached a picture of him next to a ruler, and would love to know how old he is, and check he's a boy.

I'd also like advice on feeding snails, I currently give him earthworms (cut up as he's still little) and defrosted bloodworm, but can get aquarium snails from the same pet-shop for free, and as a side project have tried to breed some, just to see if it's possible. I wasn't planning on giving him any until he's big enough to swallow them whole, but I wondered about de-shelling them, would that help? Also are Earwigs okay? I haven't tried it but I assume I follow Meal-worm protocol and crush the head before hand.

Please ask any questions about how I'm keeping him, just to check I've got everything covered, thanks in advance! :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 135
He's too small and young to sex yet - I'd say he's anywhere from 5-7 months though. He really needs to be 9-12 months and 7-8 inches to sex.

Where did you do your research on food? Earwigs are not suitable, and snails are a very risky choice. Why bother when there are so many good choices out there? Worms, maggoty type things (waxworms etc) river shrimp, pellets if you want.

What did you do about cycling? Sounds like your tank isn't cycled yet, you need to read up on fish-in cycling and test your water daily.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as food goes, I'm just asking because there's a lot of little critters around, and I thought he might appreciate the variety.

The tank has been cycled, I had it up to 4.5-5 Ammonia by adding bits of left over fish food (from ages ago), it went back down to 0, I did a full water change and picked him up a week later, what makes you ask about the cycling? What sort of things make you think it wasn't?

Thanks again :happy:

I don't think a healthy axolotl is bothered by variety of food.....they just snap down the nearest available thing ..........I've never been aware they had time to savour a mouthful !!.....tank mates tail is as good as an earthworm!!......through axolotl eyes! Stick to Jude's suggestions and you won't go far wrong.

Not who you were asking but cycled tanks usually have at least a nitrate reading unless a very large volume water change was just done. Also, it seems the vast majority of people who ask about being new axolotl owners don't know cycling exists or misunderstand what it is so it generally a good thing to check on. Cycling also usually takes much longer than one week.

It still seems strange that all your readings were 0. Did you change water before testing? Also which type of water testing kit do you have the liquid or strip?

Edit: Axolotl do best in hard water so that shouldn't be a problem. Also is that a heater in your tank? If that is keeping the water around 19C I hate to think how cold that room is(but I really dislike cold).

Thanks for the reply.

I have water testing strips, I just did one and it read about 5.0 nitrite and 10 nitrate, I did do a water change right before I took those readings on my last post, I'll do another now, do I need to add anything to keep it down or just change the water?

The heater is set to 14, so it only ticks on when it gets that low. Those are old pictures, I have since made an aquarium cooler (I might do a guide if I get the time) and the tank sits around 15-17 with that running, it was just a hot day!

The liquid test kits are much more reliable and actually cheaper considering you get many more tests per kit than with the strips (at least with the prices I have seen.) Don't add anything to the water except the declorinator. The only way to decrease the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites is by a water change. If that nitrite level is correct I would do a large volume water change ASAP!

Here is some info on the water quality. ammonia, nitrates, and nitrite levels are about half way down the page on the right. Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

I always see everyone insisting that testing parameters and keeping a hawks eye on nitrates, nitrites, ph, and ammonia is important.
But I've actually never cycled my aquarium and never add conditioners to it! I use reverse-osmosis filtered water :)
My Axolotl is a year old; robust, with fluffy, bright gills and active. I feed him night crawlers, live guppies, and frozen brine shrimp.
He's in a custom made long/broad tank which is also shallow. He flourishes along with two recent rescued additions.

My suggestion would be that your Lotl needs more floor space. That hexagon is quite restricting once he gets larger. Also, try very small feeder guppies when he's a bit larger :) Mine is 10" and he devours guppies - has never shown signs of illness or blockages. I like to believe it mimics natural behaviours in the wild and stimulates him :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will look into liquid testing kits and feeder guppies for when he's older.

The tank is only temporary, I'll move him to a much larger one when he gets even close to too big. Thanks for all the help everyone :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back