Poor sick Axie 😔

AxoLittle2022

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys, my axie is unwell. She (not seed, but will use she for the sake of conversation) hasn't eaten in about 5 days. She is very skinny and lethargic. She is currently on day 4 of fridging, she pooped twice on Friday and once on Saturday. Her tankmate is doing fabulously, he is a beast, at least twice her size. She has always been tiny. Is there such thing as failure to thrive?

a couple of questions, what's his/her age/size?, why was he/she originally fridged for?, what food do you normally give them?
would you be able to post a picture.
by the fact that you've said she is very skinny implies that she/he hasn't been eating her/his fill for a while prior to fridging, this can be due to sibling rivalry / not enough food provided / bodily upset, if it is bodily upset please provided details of water parameters of the tank (even though she/he isn't in it right now)ie.. temp/ph/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
did/is she showing any other signs of stress ie.. curled tail / front curved gills / arched back.
there is always a possibility that an animal can be weak and fail to thrive.
whilst be fridged he/she will become lethargic as the temperature slows her/his body down (fridging can also cause organ shut down), unless you have no choice please remove from fridge and tub her instead keeping her cool by other means,

a couple of questions, what's his/her age/size?, why was he/she originally fridged for?, what food do you normally give them?
would you be able to post a picture.
by the fact that you've said she is very skinny implies that she/he hasn't been eating her/his fill for a while prior to fridging, this can be due to sibling rivalry / not enough food provided / bodily upset, if it is bodily upset please provided details of water parameters of the tank (even though she/he isn't in it right now)ie.. temp/ph/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
did/is she showing any other signs of stress ie.. curled tail / front curved gills / arched back.
there is always a possibility that an animal can be weak and fail to thrive.
whilst be fridged he/she will become lethargic as the temperature slows her/his body down (fridging can also cause organ shut down), unless you have no choice please remove from fridge and tub her instead keeping her cool by other means,
Thanks for your reply

Tank parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7.6
Temp 17
They eat African Nightctawlers, I think the ones I have been feeding her have been a bit too big 😔 I usually freeze them, then cut them up.
Tail and gills lovely and straight, but I have noticed her arching her back. She is still unfortunately in the fridge, as it is too hot leave her tabbed out (summer). She was originally fridge because I thought she was constipated, but after she pooped, she's still looking a bit wonky and was still having a bit of a float. She hasn't floated for a day now, but is still looking sad.

Thanks for your reply

Tank parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7.6
Temp 17
They eat African Nightctawlers, I think the ones I have been feeding her have been a bit too big 😔 I usually freeze them, then cut them up.
Tail and gills lovely and straight, but I have noticed her arching her back. She is still unfortunately in the fridge, as it is too hot leave her tabbed out (summer). She was originally fridge because I thought she was constipated, but after she pooped, she's still looking a bit wonky and was still having a bit of a float. She hasn't floated for a day now, but is still looking sad.
Oh, she was born in April. I always hand feed them and wait for them to fill up.

at her age she should be able to smell out food, try using frozen fish food ie.. bloodworm/krill/mysis/brine/heart etc.. if she wont touch the worms, put food in at night and clean tub in morning. also have you tried giving them live worms or blanched.

at her age she should be able to smell out food, try using frozen fish food ie.. bloodworm/krill/mysis/brine/heart etc.. if she wont touch the worms, put food in at night and clean tub in morning. also have you tried giving them live worms or blanched.
When I tub them to clean their tanks, I chuck a heap of bloodworms in for them to eat. I have been putting blood worms and brine shrimp in her tub to see if she'd eat anything, but she's not

Hi guys, my axie is unwell. She (not seed, but will use she for the sake of conversation) hasn't eaten in about 5 days. She is very skinny and lethargic. She is currently on day 4 of fridging, she pooped twice on Friday and once on Saturday. Her tankmate is doing fabulously, he is a beast, at least twice her size. She has always been tiny. Is there such thing as failure to thrive?
🙏 for your baby axie 💔

using holtfreters ( Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity ) in the water will make her more comfortable but I don't know of any way to encourage her to eat when she is adamant not to apart from leaving food in container for period of time to tempt her, I have heard of people syringe feeding caudates so it might be an idea to search this forum to find how they managed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back