Illness/Sickness: Possible constipation? Newer mom

Phizzy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there, newer axolotl mom here. Just some background first. Got this one from a friend of a friend about 1.5 months ago. They could not care for it well and was very underweight and the external gills had no frills on them. Was only on pellets and barely ate. Since we got it, we have been feeding it nightcrawlers (have to cut it into 4 pieces). Took a while as it didn't really want more than 1 or 2 pieces every 2 days, and now it eats about 3/4 of a worm and 1 cube of the "omega one freshwater community formula" which he came with. Has been gaining weight much better and growing the gills back since be bought an aquarium chiller (was trying fans and bottles before but wasn't working). Now tank sits between 18.4 and 18.1 celcius.
Seemed fine yesterday afternoon when it ate. Last night, had a piece of what looked like feces stuck in the cloaca but i wasn't home for most of the night so wasn't sure if it passed. This morning, there is some feces in the bottom of the tank but now there is a small string like thing hanging out of it. Was shorter this morning and is a bit longer now. I want to fridge him, as I have done some homework and see that is the recommendation. But I am having trouble regulating my fridge, keeps reading too cold and I am worried about that. Is there anything I can do for him while I regulate the fridge ( tried turning it up again so we will see)?
Also, can someone confirm sex? Was told they thought it was a male. I think it is too but seemed a bit too underweight at first to tell. Thank you so much and sorry for the novel.

Attachments

• 20190823_192940.jpg
    20190823_192940.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 20190823_192911.jpg
    20190823_192911.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190822_111436.jpg
    20190822_111436.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 112
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back