Recurring fungus on gill tip

kriskaykj

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl has been getting small cottony lumps of fungus on his gills that seem to come back almost every 2-3 weeks. I try to rub them with q-tip (usually doesn't come off unless he freaks out to knock them off), doing large water changes whenever they come up, and treating the water with low amounts of pimafix and melafix. I know it's from warm water but I have a fan on his tank and the digital thermometer always shows around 60F.

The never really last more than 3-4 days after I notice them and they've never spread from his gills. This has been happening for a couple months. He hasn't really swam around for a couple of months either (just walks around) which I think was because he was finally used to his tank. Could the lack of movement cause fungus growth?

What could be causing this and what else should I be doing?

First thing for we'd need to know is always the other water parameters; especially ammonia, but also nitrites and nitrates. Have you measured these recently?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back