Red growth on gills

CoralTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
20220106_155617.jpg
I'm fridging my axolotl and treating with vet prescribed antibiotics to try to treat some swelling in her neck. She is getting 100% water changes every day. I recently noticed what looked like white slime on her gill. I thought it was her slime coat so didn't worry too much about it at first. The next day she had a red growth where the "slime" had been. And the following day it was much worse. It actually bleeds when she is out of water for her antibiotics treatment. I have been giving her one salt bath for 12 minutes daily (today is the third day) and have a vet appointment on Tuesday. Wondering if anyone had experienced this or if you have any advice that could help in the meantime. Pic with white circle is day 1, red circle is day 2, no circle is day 3. Today is similar to day 3 with less white haze surrounding it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220104_194406~2.jpg
    20220104_194406~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20220103_201719.jpg
    20220103_201719.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 63
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back