Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ripped Tail (Please help me!)

Rei

Reaction score
My axolotl, just swam up to the top of the tank, and grabbed an air bubble, on her way down again she started spinning, literally, in circles, as if she was chasing her tails. She then "divebombed" at the sand in my tank, before swimming over to the other side of the tank and repeating the process, and again after that!

She then stopped and calmed down, and is now sitting peacefully, But she has a RIP in her tail, about an inch away from the tip, I am really worried so If anyone could reply to tell me what to do as soon as possible any help would be appreciated!

I would surgest filling a tub with dechlorinated water just enough to go over her back, and put her in thr fridge (make sure te fridge is set to 10c if possible), this will slow her body down, giving her chance to heal, and if its a rip in her tail it shouldnt take long. a few days. make sure you have a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge, as you will need it for a 100% water change (which she will need daily until her rip has healed). keep us posted on how she is.

Is there any friends in the tank that could have bitten her? or anything sharp she could of caught her self on?

when concerned with amphibians a surface wound is something thats usually quite worrying but with the advice stated it should be fine. axolotls have amazing regenerative capabilities, they can take quite a beating even losing legs and growing them back.

the behaviour you described seems a little like stress.. but then again im just reading a small paragrapgh of its behaviour, but the hyper energetic activity might be down to something like water quality, do you know what levels your waste products are?

personally i wouldnt worry about fridging an axolotl with a ripped tail unless signs of fungus or infection were present, and if these were then salt baths are good. tail rips will heal perfectly well on their own if the axie is healthy and water condition is good, i speak from experience as my eldest axolotl has almost finished regrowing a rip in her tail after her tankmate decided to have a taste.
Its possible your axolotl was freaked by something such as sudden change in light or noise(vibration), hence the sudden pinballing.
It can also be caused by parasites iritating the skin and the axolotl trying to get rid of them but if the axie is now settled I wouldnt worry about this.

The things you just described your axie doing is exactly what my youngster Goldmark does. When he's hypo usually before & after feeding he'll swim around the tank and bombdive on all the other axolotl's heads & occasionally take some gulps of air from the surface. At first I was worried when I first got him but now I've just narrowed it down to hes hypo & I think he's a little of a twit. None of my axolotl's resemble he's behavior. Does you axolotl do this in its personality or only since it had the ripped tail?

PS: Your axie's tail should heal good they got super abilites to regenerate!

Last edited:
My axolotls tail looks like another one bite his tail. He now has what looks like blood dot all over him and he has been floating at the top since i saw his tail injured 3 days ago

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2