Seeking advice about possible fungus treatment

Axies1234

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I'm looking for advice on our adult male wild type axolotl. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that he has white cloudy areas in his gills. I have had him isolated for 5 to 6 days. I emptied his tank 90%, rinsed everything thoroughly, and the tank has been empty and cycling ever since. He is our only axolotl. I did have a live plant, but took it out as I'm not sure that it's as helpful as I read it might be. Well in isolation it does appear there's quite a lot of white floaty things in the water. I am doing daily water changes, sometimes twice a day. My belief is that the fungus is separating from the skin and gills. I'm not sure if he's actually getting better. He looks better, although I'm not sure if this is just temporary. Tonight we put him back in his tank and he seems to be acclimating quite well. He sat still for a while then started swimming a little bit. While he was swimming, I noticed a brown spot on his neck. His tank is quite dark, so it's possible this could be a different color. I also don't know if this is always there or new. I believe his tank was previously getting too hot and although I was changing water frequently I don't think I was doing a very good job of making sure to check the levels everyday. I think I have since fixed that. We now have a fan and a temperature monitor, which will alert us when it gets too hot. His tank is currently at 62°. Everything I'm reading is telling me to do salt baths. I'm actually very scared I'm going to harm him and so I am avoiding the salt baths all together. I'm wondering if his fungus will clear on its own with isolation and better care of his tank, or if I need to do the salt baths. I appreciate any advice. Photos are from tonight after completing isolation. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221216_203530_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216_203530_Gallery.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 20221216_203012.jpg
    20221216_203012.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221216_202729.jpg
    20221216_202729.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 41
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back