There's something in my Axie's gill

OwlGirlOco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
On the underside of my Axie's gill, like under his chin, something is trailing out. Whatever it is it's thin and light-colored. You can see part of it straight down from his shoulder. I am very new to axies and I've never seen this before.
IMG_20240101_110146912.jpg
IMG_20240101_110146912.jpg

I've read some more and I'm kinda worried it's ammonia poisoning, however, I just changed the water probably two days ago. It's not just on his gill and could be described as "flaky or peeling skin" but not in large pieces. He doesn't appear to be showing any other signs of ammonia poisoning. I just fed him and his gills are the normal size, not being burned off or anything. Does anyone know what else it might be?

what are the water parameters? ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and if possible kh gh.
it looks like a piece of food stuck in the gill slits but you mention other areas of slothing skin, add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the water.
is it possible for full body photos.
what dechlorinator are you using.

IDK where to get a water testing kit cause I live in Mexico and shipping is often unreliable. I will look into other options. Dechlorinator is a charcoal water filter that is used for my family's drinking water. Temperature is usually in the 60s Farenheit. What do you mean by kh gh? How detailed/focused of photos do you need? Lighting isn't very good right now, I can get better ones tomorrow.
IMG_20240101_175641517.jpg

IMG_20240101_175641517.jpg

kh is carbonate hardness (how much carbonates are in the water, kh helps to buffer ph preventing ph swings) gh is general hardness (how much minerals are in the water, axolotls require moderate/high level of mineralisation)
although there is a dustiness to the skin I can't see any areas that look ammonia damaged.

kh is carbonate hardness (how much carbonates are in the water, kh helps to buffer ph preventing ph swings) gh is general hardness (how much minerals are in the water, axolotls require moderate/high level of mineralisation)
although there is a dustiness to the skin I can't see any areas that look ammonia damaged.
Ok thanks. Do you know of any one kit that can test for all or most of the above? I'm glad it doesn't look like ammonia.

api fresh water master kit is the most popular and contain most required tests apart from kh and gh, columbo do a test set which contains all liquid tests, tetra do tests but the multi tests are limited.

It's fungus. I will be giving him a tea bath, and I also have a chemical antifungus. What do I do with the tank? Water changes? Do I use the antifungus in the tank?

because the majority of anti-fungal chemicals can harm the tanks bio-logical filtration it is always better to apply via baths.
using a solution such as 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate helps prevent re-occurrence, info here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

On the underside of my Axie's gill, like under his chin, something is trailing out. Whatever it is it's thin and light-colored. You can see part of it straight down from his shoulder. I am very new to axies and I've never seen this before.
View attachment 97196View attachment 97196
View attachment 97196View attachment 97196
Check this link out for more information

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back