Question: Transporting Axolotls (semi-urgent)

Apis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again all,

It's been a while since I last logged in. Been dealing with some difficult IRL stuff, the biggest of which is my upcoming departure for college in September. I'm at a crossroads, and I could use the impartial opinion of my fellow axolotl lovers to help me get this sorted out.

The college I'm set to attend in the fall is a five hour drive away from where I live now. It's worth noting that there is a mountain pass between here and there. I'm sure you can all guess where I'm going with this.

I want to take my axolotls with me. The thought of being apart from them for such long amounts of time fills me with anxiety and dread—and I don't want to impose on my family by leaving them in their care for such long periods. However: at this point, I don't know if that's a reasonable or logical thing to desire. Is it possible to transport axolotls over significant distances (by car) without causing them undue stress? Would it be better for my axolotls if I just let them stay put instead of having to move them every few months (i.e. Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, etc.) and risk stressing them out in the process?

I want to be with them, but I don't want my selfish desire to be with them to cause them harm.

Hoping you all can provide me with some guidance—and quickly. If I'm going to take them, I need to submit the ESA (emotional service animal) form to my college as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for the help. <3

I don't see why there would be a problem transporting them. Treat it like they were being shipped. If you do a search on the forum for shipping methods you should be able to find plenty of info. The basics are: bagging with fresh dechlorinated water, keep in a foam box with ice bottles (not directly touching the bag) also stuffed with newspaper so the bag doesn't move in the box. It's not a long time to be in the bag, but it would probably be good to fast them beforehand so they don't poop in the water :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back