Question: Two questions

minxytota

Reaction score
Country
United States
1) Is there any way to get a higher number of leucistics when breeding? I have a leucistic male and a het wildtype female and I always end up with the 1/4 percentage. Which is great but the leucistics always sell out so fast!

2) I've been asked if I separate my lil guys during the "cannibalistic phase." The answer to that question varies. But this last time I didn't, I just kept live food in front of them 24/7 and kept them in larger tanks (lotl per gallon wise) than I was able to when I separated them. Last time when I kept them all separate and then put them together at 3-4" I had -a lot- of biting/missing legs/etc. Now I have none. No one has lost a foot this time at all. Is that common? or do I just have a well behaved batch of juveniles?

The laws of genetics say the best way to get leucistics is to breed 2 leucisitcs together. If you breed a het with a pure leucistic you should get around 50%.

I never separate my babies, I don't have any trouble with nipping. I think sometimes they need company so they learn the difference between food and tankmates.

For some reason I always get about one fourth wilds, white albinos, golden albinos and lucuestics. They're all so stinking cute.

Ok thank you for sharing. I think I agree with you about learning to be nice. My juvies snap at each other during meal time but they do seem to clearly know the difference between food and friends.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back