Vacation feeding?

Caesar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sam
I am going out of town for 5 days and my neighbor is coming over to feed my cats and she can also feed my axolotl
-- but I feed my axolotl a cube of blood worms then remove the ones he didn't eat.

I feel like having her try to suction them out is a lot of work especially since you have to pick up decorations/move plants to try and get some.
Is there an easier alternative? Should I buy shrimp pellets? What do you guys do?

Let me know!! :D

Feed lots the day you go, then just don't feed your Axolotl for 5 days. They can last months without food as long as the water temperature is correct.

Also be sure to make sure your tank is cycled, and perform a water change the day you leave.

Last edited:
I don't know how people feel about this. I thaw my blood worms about half way in water. And separate them into daily feedings. Just do it quickly you want them to thaw enough to break apart but not all the way. Then stick in freezer asap. I separate one cub of blood worms into 5 feeding. I have been doing it for over 5 months. The quality looks the same. I agree with axolotlchris i just left for 4 nights. My newts where fine feed them twice the day i left. And stuck microworms with my larvae. Everyone was ok when i returned.

Feed lots the day you go, then just don't feed your Axolotl for 5 days. They can last months without food as long as the water temperature is correct.

Also be sure to make sure your tank is cycled, and perform a water change the day you leave.

My water temp is around 66, probably 68 at the highest.. Is that good?
Thanks for the info! :)

I don't know how people feel about this. I thaw my blood worms about half way in water. And separate them into daily feedings. Just do it quickly you want them to thaw enough to break apart but not all the way. Then stick in freezer asap. I separate one cub of blood worms into 5 feeding. I have been doing it for over 5 months. The quality looks the same. I agree with axolotlchris i just left for 4 nights. My newts where fine feed them twice the day i left. And stuck microworms with my larvae. Everyone was ok when i returned.

haha thank you!!
Thankfully my axolotl eats the whole cube right away.. oh gosh is that bad? -He doesn't seem to choke on it and it saves me from cleaning the rest up?- =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back