Weird growth on my Popei's head.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everyone Nick here, I'm going to need some advice on this one!! I've been breeding newts and salamanders for the last few years and haven't seen this before. On one of my juvenile popei, he seems to have a weird growth/pimple looking bump on top middle of his head. His swimming seems a little odd to with it. There's 3 others in the tank with him as well. He has been taken out accordingly and been placed in Quarantine. Water temp is in the low 60s, water parameters are fine. They have plenty of moss and aquatic plants as well as a sponge filter. They get a partial water change once every 2 weeks or so! Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• 20230422_195716.jpg
    20230422_195716.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 415
Also the other 3 are fine, no abnormalities all eating and swimming like they should be!

Hey Everyone Nick here, I'm going to need some advice on this one!! I've been breeding newts and salamanders for the last few years and haven't seen this before. On one of my juvenile popei, he seems to have a weird growth/pimple looking bump on top middle of his head. His swimming seems a little odd to with it. There's 3 others in the tank with him as well. He has been taken out accordingly and been placed in Quarantine. Water temp is in the low 60s, water parameters are fine. They have plenty of moss and aquatic plants as well as a sponge filter. They get a partial water change once every 2 weeks or so! Let me know what you guys think!
im not an expert, or a vet, but it looks like an abscess to me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back