What is the point of layering your salamander tank with a lot of different things

Nate0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at a lot of forums and all the ones i have seen about tank set up have had a lod of different things layer at their tank like powder charcoal , coconut shaving Ings , pebbles and peas soil or something along those lines. I thought you only had to do forest soil. Any help or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

It is best if you use forest soil. layers of just forest soil is most recommended as salamanders like to make holes in the ground. it’ll decay and dry over time so be sure to change the soil every month. If it’s still moist after 1 month that’s most likely salamander urine and feces. I hope everything goes well with your salamander pal!

Last edited:
I have been looking at a lot of forums and all the ones i have seen about tank set up have had a lod of different things layer at their tank like powder charcoal , coconut shaving Ings , pebbles and peas soil or something along those lines. I thought you only had to do forest soil. Any help or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
i don't keep terrestrial sals, but i know that having a few layers of substrate is good for their digging instinct

Forest soil is the best.
A said axolotl nerd, it is good for digging salamanders species.
Moreover it usually brings loads of intersting bugs, some of them (larvae, woodlice) being eaten by the salamander.

However, there is a disadvantage : forest soil tends to decay with time.
It can be changed or renewed adding dead leaves each fall for example.

A pea gravel or aquarium gravel layer on the bottom helps with humidity and avoids quick dry outs. It is a good idea to go to caudataculture area of this forum or pick up a beginner salamander book for good advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back