Why is my axolotl floating?

Lilgeck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve read many of the posts about floating axies on here and other places. Pumpkin has been floating for about three days on and off. Her tank is at 64 currently and she has pooped twice with air bubbles inside of them, I haven’t fed her since she started since I thought she was constipated. She’s still floating slightly though? Also, I’m sure she’s hungry. She seems like she can go down to the floor if she really wants because I’ve seen her both on the ground and floating at the top. Should I feed her? I’m scared to fridge her so I’m not really open to that, but if it has to be done I will. She seems fine otherwise. (I’m the picture, her tail looks curled but it’s just how she was sitting. It’s been straight from what I’ve seen)
4A12226A-3025-4C89-918F-92A4B294F0E1.jpeg

Hi, I would try to feed pumpkin (but only a little at first) just as a test. If she’s eats great, if she doesn’t then there might be something else going on. Also I completely understand your want not to fridge your axolotl (I feel the same way about mine).
What’s your water parameters? I have read that an ammonia spike can cause floating. Anyway, I think what it all comes down to is if Pumpkin can easily come down to the floor whenever she wants. I’ve noticed that my axolotl used to float for fun! He seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself 😂. This could just be the case for yours.
I would continue to do some more research because there are other more serious causes such as a bloat that would need further more concerned attention and I’m sorry that I couldn’t of helped more. I wish you and pumpkin the best of luck!

Thank you for the advice!! A couple hours after I posted, I offered her a quarter of a worm and she took it, so she’s okay in that regard. She also can definitely come down on her own!! As for the parameters, I’m out of the API test kits and am using strips which I know can be inaccurate, she does have an ammonia spike according to the strips so I’ve been doing water changes regularly. Everything else seems safe but again the strips are off a lot of the time. Hopefully all it comes down to is her enjoying herself, but I’m gonna continue researching. Thank you again for the advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back