Worried about my juvenile axolotl

Adamelgert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, thanks for the help.
Yesterday i transitioned my 5 inch ax from his Tupperware home to our 75 gallon tank. The water had been circulating for about a month and the tests all call back with safe #s prior to me putting him in.
Today I noticed he was very lethargic and floating at the top (rather than in one of the hiding spots like last night.
I decide to move him back to his Tupperware home and turn to the forum for help. He still floating and lethargic in the Tupperware but it’s only been a short period of time. The water in the Tupperware tank is bottled at at 65 degrees. The water in the big take was 66.
Here’s a photo of him in the tank last night. And where we are now. Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe I’m over reacting and he’s just sleeping? Our 2nd one is a bit smaller and doing perfectly fine in her Tupperware, she hasn’t been transitioned.

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    862.4 KB · Views: 50
has the tank been cycled, if so how?
are there any air stones in the tank?
what are the tanks water parameters? ie.. ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh and gh if possible.
if still lethargic use a tea bath, ensure adequate oxygenation in both tank and tubs.
your axolotl as shown in the second photo is stressed (gills are forward)

what are the tanks water parameters? ie.. ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh and gh if possible.
if still lethargic use a tea bath, ensure adequate oxygenation in both tank and tubs.
Thank you so much for your reply. This my first time with such a large tank and my first axolotl ownership.

I set up the tank, chiller, filter about 5 weeks ago. Have just let it run and replaced 20% of the water 2xs. Other than that, nothing else.

No, I didn’t even think of those because I know they do not like disruptive water. With that said I’m now realizing how silly I am for not adding oxygen to the water. I’ll go out and get some air stones today.

I’ve added a photo of my test strip.

I’m sad he’s stressed. I thank you for the help and I’ll work to get him back to normal. The tub water is changed daily with new bottled water so waste doesn’t build up in such a small tub.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpeg
    IMG_1136.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
your tank needs to be cycled, this is very important.
your water has basically been left to go stagnant in the tank which won't be very pleasant, always ensure water oxygenation.
use liquid tests rather than strip tests, strip tests aren't very accurate plus the majority don't measure ammonia (very important).
based on the strips the gh is low, should be 125-250, ph is bad, should be 7.4-7.6, in a cycled tank there will be nitrates (nitrates are mostly removed via water changes)
whilst cycling a tank it is advantageous to increase temperature to speed up the cycle, once done set the chiller to 16°c-17°c (60°f-62°f)
until your axolotl has calmed down change the water twice daily, add an air stone, try to get the water a bit colder (not fridge temperature but lower than 18°c (64°c)
ammonia will still build up in the tub even with waste removed, by changing twice daily the amount will be minimised.

IMG_1150.jpeg

Update - still not really eating. A few bloodworms here and there but not like normal. Hopefully he’s getting better

Changing tub water 2xs daily
The large tank ph is 7.6 high ph is 7.4 ammonia is -0- no2 is 0 no3 is 0 air rocks have been added

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back