Hello

Z

zuccone

Hi,

I would like to know the maximum length that a pleuro can reach in captivity. If you have some pics I will be very interested to t see that.

Thanks in advance.

Zuccone.

Hi Zuccone,

All will be revealed at:http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pleurodeles/P_waltl.shtml
happy.gif

According to cc they get 12 inches in the wild and are typically 6 to 8 inches in captivity. I would have guessed they might get larger in captivity. My females are about 9 inches now.

Experiences from a dutch keeper who has been keeping and breeding them for several years now is that if you don't let them reproduce they eventually grow larger. Energy is than put in growing instead of in reproducing. But scientifically I don't know if anybody has ever tried to prove this. So keep males and females separate and others together, keep them under the same conditions and let's see what happens in 5 years...if you have enough animals it is worth a try.

Hi all,

I come back 2 years later, and I would be always interested in seeing big size pleuros in their enclosure!!! Therefore, if you have somme photos, don't hesitate to post them !
Many thanks.

Zuccone.

Hey zuccone,
Here's a picture of my female pleurodeles waltl. I think she's about 22 centimeter long.
66390.jpg

Hi Miriam,

Thank you for sharing, very beautiful specimen ... 22 centimeters
How old is she ?

Zuccone.

Would you have a picture of her enclosure out of curiosity ?

Thanks in advance.

Zuccone

Does remind me of a dutch plant wholesaler who uses pictures of children's hands carrying strawberry's that look like apples in his catalogue. I want facts! In centimeters! Haha.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Sergé Bogaerts (Sergé) on Wednesday 29 September 2004 - 12:06 (#POST34351):</font>

Experiences from a dutch keeper who has been keeping and breeding them for several years now is that if you don't let them reproduce they eventually grow larger. Energy is than put in growing instead of in reproducing. But scientifically I don't know if anybody has ever tried to prove this. So keep males and females separate and others together, keep them under the same conditions and let's see what happens in 5 years...if you have enough animals it is worth a try.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I've heard the same thing by discus breeders: if the animals breed when still young they won't grow as big for the same reasons you mentioned, Serge. I think this applies especially to females who spend more energy than males because they have to produce eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back