Greenish water

M

mary

hi, does anyone know why the axies tank water would become greenish? i was away for only 2 days and returned to find it green and murky- had to change alot of it. She recently laid eggs ( which i removed) and i have done a few quite big water changes over the past month- wondered if it was possible i was making the tank do some type of wrong cycling thing. the pH wasn't bad.

Do you have any daphnia - you could put them in the tank if it goes green again, they'll be able to clean it up!

Mary, it's probably suspended algae. Not necessarily a problem, but more of a nuisance.

But if you can get ahold of some daphnia, they'll clean it up in no time.

Hi Mary, how's your tank? Have you managed to get it clean? Yes, I noticed a distinct green tinge to mine when I returned, but the daphnia and small waterchanges seem to be working. Something new I learned!

hi Kapo- missed u!! hope you had a great hol- HeiHei is really cool too- she has been so helpful. Um the green water is still chronic- have been doin water changes every other day! Axies dont' seem to mind but guess what- yet another batch of eggs was laid yesterday by poor mummy- her husband has go to move out. We might move big "baby" in when daddy has moved out- we have had a few offers of places for him to go to.
Their baby is so handsome- really speckled and has a greenish tinge. A local guy wants to take the latest eggs-
how are your lovely axie's? i bet they have been very well looked after?

Hi! green water of this algae kind can be combatted with s few days of lights out and 20% water change per week or so until the problem is gone. Dont remove too much water at once, it may make the tank re-cycle.

less light your tank recieves the easier it will be to combate the green algae, also fast growing plants like hornwort competes with growing algae, so it is a good plant to keep in a tank to prevent unwanted alage blooms. Obviously with that in the tank some light is needed at time to time.

Goodluck combating green water! If all else fails, your green water tank can be used to raise fish or shrim fry :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back