Newts in Space

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
A good friend of mine was asking me about the experiments NASA is doing on ribbed newts. I bragged a little about how some of my newts went to outer space. My understanding of the experiments are they are a continuation and coloboration of work originally started by Russian scientists. Some of the work is on tisue regeneration especialy spinal cord, muscle, and bone. Results report to it being faster in outer space. Other work is on viability of offspring and degeneration. I think the work has the potential to be important. Imagine if we could get "people" cells to grow like newt cells do. What could that mean medically?

I've supplied NASA with a few newts from another breeder and mostly with animals I produced myself. The project is ongoing and I think it is worthwhile. I'm not a scientist and don't kow a great deal about the research but from what I've learned I'm enthusiastic about being a part of it.

That's cool Michael. Be sure to post up any information you find out about the research.

Hey Micheal,
Any how are the NEWTS IN SPAAAACE!

Hi Aaron,
As far as I know none are up right now. I'm raising a bunch of larvae and juveniles now that NASA needs to be 1 year old when they get them. I asked for a little more information about their experiments. I thought I could get the inside scoop. I try not to bug them to much.

Wow, Michael, you should definitely be proud! I sure would be.

I would be too! I would be very interested to hear about whatever you learn about that program.:happy:

Thank you for sharing with us!
Critter Mom

Here's a picture of one NASA sent back that was getting to big for them. Their is also a picture of P. waltl eggs in the roots of a water hyacinth.

Attachments

• waltlbig.jpg
    waltlbig.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 922
  • waltlegg.jpg
    waltlegg.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 654
I just made a post called Newts in Space talking about this.

Here's a picture of one NASA sent back that was getting to big for them. Their is also a picture of P. waltl eggs in the roots of a water hyacinth.

what, they sent him back because he's so big he can't fit in the spaceship anymore?

Micheal,
Thanks for the great pics and follow up. That is a large newt you got there. How old do you think it is?

I have a mental picture of that giant newt floating around in a 0 gravity sphere of water.

Something turned up when I was at one Dawns house. Evidently I'm not the only one working with NASA.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 627
Dude! How old is that can of TaB! Does it have any cyclamate left in it?

This years batch of ribbed newts will go to NASA in a couple weeks. Their studies have shown that tail regeneration is slower in microgravity. This years bunch won't be going to outerspace. They will be studied at high gravity. They will be put in a 24 foot diameter centrifuge at Ames NASA and live at 2G. The hypothesis is that the tails will regenerate faster at higher gravity.

I know we tend to anthropormophize our newts. The work being done by researchers with Pleurodeles waltl and Ambystoma anderoni is invaluable. If researchers can unlock the genetics and pathways of some of the amazing things salamanders do and apply it to mammals fantastic breakthroughs in medicine are possible. The research is worth the sacrifice.

The experiments on P. waltl by NASA are being lined up for 2010. More P. waltl research at the space agency has been approved for 2011 and I'm starting to breed for animals for next year. It's interesting and exciting to be a small part of this important research.

Hey Michael,
That's great news and very interesting research. This summer I will be starting a Ph.D. project on Salamander regeneration so its fun to hear about other salamander projects. Also, have they published anything so far? Could you post a link to the abstract if they have?
Keep us updated.

They will double the gravity level? Gosh I can´t imagine a newt living in a centrifuge:ufo:
Waw. That is awesome. The question is if they can hold 2G´s! I´ve experienced 2.5G´s for some seconds and I tough my head would get disconnected from the neck xD. Good to have that scientific data! Thank you,

Jorge

i have to ask how many gallons are in that 'fish in space' tank with beta? my second love has and always will be betas.

fascinating work that NASA is doing, i wonder what role it will play with the approaching missions to mars.

Ha ha, I never noticed that pic Michael had posted before! I am the owner of that betta in space and the TaB can (no more cyclamates in there; it's empty). Also the Betta now lives in a 5 gallon tank, I thought that it'd like more space even though people keep them in those tiny containers. The Betta in Space tank was less than a gallon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back