concern for MY health - mosquitoes

niajetze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
carrie
I currently have hundreds of mossie babies in my tank any ideas on how to get rid ??? before I get bitten anymore? if i had baby axies i suppose this wouldnt really be a problem rather free food!!

Mosquito larvae normally sit at the water surface and dive down when disturbed. If you have a fine fish net you can often net many in one go - if you're quick enough. You have to wait for them to re-surface before having another go.

To avoid this problem again you'll need to mossie proof the tank either with a tight fitting lid or some fine netting/material placed on top. This can also be a way to stop the larvae already in the tank getting into your house when they hatch as flies.

You could always get/borrow a goldfish or equivalent and give it a few hours in the tank (probably best to put your axie in alternate accomodation if you do).

when you say mosquito net will tights do??

Tights as in the ones you wear? Yeah, they'll work fine.

Yep used some last night ...well the government is trying to get us to recycle more LOL and they were laddered....(it was a late night and i fell over ..doh) anyhow they worked a treat still have baby mossies but a lot less of them (it even picked out a load of the other creatures in the tank so I am quite impressed) I have a cheap tiny fish net which my axies out grew ages ago so I think i might attch left over tights to the frame of that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back