Informal Feeding Frequency Survey

freves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Foster Reves
This is directed to those of you who keep multiple groups of established, adult animals. I am curious as to how often you feed. I realize that there may be some differences depending on species, aquatic vs terrestrial, time of year, and so on. I am just trying to get a basic idea. No offense to anyone, but I am most interested in hearing from those who have multiple animals and not just an individual or two.
Chip

This is directed to those of you who keep multiple groups of established, adult animals. I am curious as to how often you feed. I realize that there may be some differences depending on species, aquatic vs terrestrial, time of year, and so on. I am just trying to get a basic idea. No offense to anyone, but I am most interested in hearing from those who have multiple animals and not just an individual or two.
Chip

I feed every 2nd or 3rd day. I tend to feed on tuesdays thursdays and saturdays sometimes on sundays. If I know i won't have time for my big water change on saturday I will wait until the sunday as I like to do big changes an hour or so after a feeding.

I keep 3 adults

Most of my adults are fed twice per week, sometimes 3 times per week. Some of them occasionally go up to a full week without food, particularly the ones that won't take pellets or frozen bloodworms. The younger ones get fed every day or two.

I feed three times per week for adults and every other day for little ones. I do cut the adults to twice per week for a few weeks in winter and allow them a few weeks of every other day in the spring.

My herd gets 3x a week in the summer, and 2x a week in the winter. I do skip occasional feedings, especially if they're getting chubby (or I'm super-busy).

I keep all my aquatic tanks stocked with black worms all the time. Depending on the appetite/age of the tank inhabitants I may have to add more worms every other day, or every other week. I supplement with other food items like white worms, frozen blood worms, chunks of earth worms, random bugs/worms I find in my backyard, anytime from a couple times a week to a couple times a month. It all depends on which animal I am feeding because some have smaller appetites than others.
My one terrestrial caudate, a tiger salamander, gets a whole earth worm once to twice a week year round. In the summer s/he gets all the slugs I can find, but I have to admit that in the winter s/he doesn't get any variety at all.
Hope that helps, Foster!
Heather

Last edited:
I feed everyone twice a week, tuesdays and saturdays, though the smaller/younger ones have blackworms in their tanks that don't all get eaten, so they can always forage. The adults usually eat up all their stuff that day. Food consists of cut-up earthworms, blackworms, fruit flies, slugs, and I've just started trying bloodworms, which I never saw at the petstore before until recently. They probably had them, I just never noticed them. They are going over very well.

For my Ensatina, Aneides and Dicomps, once a week year round.

I feed juveniles daily. Sub-adults two or three times a week and adults once a week, irrelevant of season.

I appreciate the input from everyone. I have been feeding most of my Tylo's three times a week however I am considering cutting back to twice a week and was just looking for a general idea of how often experienced keepers feed.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back