need help, im a newbie. thanks and please lol.

rich

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
rich, axie newbie, help please :)
hi, i have only just got my first axolotl yesterday, so i would be greatfull if people could help me out and share there knowlege. i have a albino axolotl (or there just white) not sure, it is 17cm (almost 7 inches). its gills are rarther pale, as most of the pictures i have seen the gills are a rich pink, is this ok? also i would love to no how to sex my axie, i have only 1 so cant compare wheather it is bigger ect. also, i have read about feeding worms and snails, wot about parasites? is this ok? my axie is rather placid aswell, and rearly moves and hardly ever swims, he is in the tank with 4 goldfish (i no the risks, but was told that it should be ok). please could you help me out?
thanks, rich

hi, i have only just got my first axolotl yesterday, so i would be greatfull if people could help me out and share there knowlege. i have a albino axolotl (or there just white) not sure, it is 17cm (almost 7 inches). its gills are rarther pale, as most of the pictures i have seen the gills are a rich pink, is this ok? also i would love to no how to sex my axie, i have only 1 so cant compare wheather it is bigger ect. also, i have read about feeding worms and snails, wot about parasites? is this ok? my axie is rather placid aswell, and rearly moves and hardly ever swims, he is in the tank with 4 goldfish (i no the risks, but was told that it should be ok). please could you help me out?
thanks, rich

You may find that either your goldfish get eaten or that they will nip at the gills of your axolotl.

Look around the axolotl.org website there is information there about different types of food for your axolotl. I feed mine bloodworm and earthworms which are widely available. Also information about sexing your axolotl. Usually if it has a lump behind it legs, it will be a boy, girls will have fatter rounded bodies because of eggs they are carrying, but you can get a better description and pictures on the site.

Do you know about cycling your water? testing the parameters and the temperature it should be for your axolotl?

Do you know about cycling your water? testing the parameters and the temperature it should be for your axolotl?[/quote]

....im an animal manegment student, so i no the basics of animal care... but only the basics lol. my tank has a large 12cm air stone, and a small filter. i have read that axie can regenarte lost limbs and gills, and the fish dont seem to try and eat him so i just hope that it is ok. i havent yet got a thermometer in my tank, but the water should be around 19C yes? but as for testing parameters... i dont even no what the word means lol. thakns for your help

Do you know about cycling your water? testing the parameters and the temperature it should be for your axolotl?

....im an animal manegment student, so i no the basics of animal care... but only the basics lol. my tank has a large 12cm air stone, and a small filter. i have read that axie can regenarte lost limbs and gills, and the fish dont seem to try and eat him so i just hope that it is ok. i havent yet got a thermometer in my tank, but the water should be around 19C yes? but as for testing parameters... i dont even no what the word means lol. thakns for your help

What I mean about parameters is the different measurements from the waters so you will need to test for ammonia mainly as well as nitrite and nitrates

alot of information is in this article http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

Temperature I would keep below 18 degree, again that is meantioned in that above article.

http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm

This will let you get to know your new friend, yes they can regenerate different parts of there body, but it doesn't mean you should subject the axolotl to it. Your skin can heal itself but you wouldn't want to keep cutting it. I am not very experience in terms of housing an axolotl with other creatures, but from what I read it is strongly advised to keep them on there own.

http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm Different foods and advantages and disadvantages of them.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the site and forum, just take the time to get around them and make things comfortable for the axolotl.

Last edited:
Rich it would be really great if you could give a run down of your tank. A photograph would be good if possible.
Size of your tank? Type of filter you are using?
What sort of substrate do you have, is it gravel?
What advice have you been given by the place where you bought your axolotl?
I ask that because some places will tell you they are very easy to keep and you only need to feed them this and do that, and yes they are easy if you know the right information.
As Levo has pointed out there are lots of articles on here for good axolotl keeping and you should try to read as much as you can and of course ask any questions you may have (even if they seem silly) as we have all been new to it once. Good luck with your new friend and ENJOY it.:D

Last edited:
Rich it would be really great if you could give a run down of your tank. A photograph would be good if possible.
Size of your tank? Type of filter you are using?
What sort of substrate do you have, is it gravel?
What advice have you been given by the place where you bought your axolotl?
I ask that because some places will tell you they are very easy to keep and you only need to feed them this and do that, and yes they are easy if you know the right information.
As Levo has pointed out there are lots of articles on here for good axolotl keeping and you should try to read as much as you can and of course ask any questions you may have (even if they seem silly) as we have all been new to it once. Good luck with your new friend and ENJOY it.:D

i will try and upload a pic asap. but i have a 2-1-1ft tank, i am using natural gravel, that is to large to fit in the axis mouth so this should be ok.... i was told. i am using a small filter, it is a 'Rena Filstar', 230-240v 50Hz and 5w. i have placed a pice of tubeing in the tank to give the axie some where to hide, i also have a pice of driftwood, and 3 plastic plants (mainly for asphetic purposes) (also a shark ornament my niece bought me lol so dont have the heart to remove it) and the fish seem to leave the axie alone and visa versa. and the only advise i was told was to feed it once a week, (as i worked there for a week on work placement, and i a buddy of mine goes the same college so i have basic knowledge of animal manegment, inculuding aquatics, but only basic)(... but i have read that i should feed it every 2-3 days, so i will do that, it is nearly 7 inches long, i am feeding it on frozen foods, like blood worm and brine ship ect, but will also get live fish food every now and again, and will start to feed it snails and worms from my garden.... thanks again :eek:

Hi Rich,

It sounds like you are off to a good start,

This site has a wealth of information. From time to time you will come across threads from people who have been misinformed by petshops so I would come here before taking petshop advice verbatim.

Apolgies to the one knowledgeable petshop worker, you know who you are. www.axolotl.org have a look at this site.

Good luck

thanks again for all ur help guys, but i think i am in need of more, this morning i saw my axie 'spaze out' for lack of a better discription. he would jump up from the bottom of the tank and do a few 'flips rolls and turns' extreamly quickly and scrath its face... is this normall??? also, i saw my tank was gettin cloudy and also my black mobre was 'lifeless' or half dead, so i toke a sample of water to the auatics and reptile shope where i bout my axie for a water test and the nitrate levels were high, so i have perchesed a live plant in the hope of produceing algea to consum the nitrate levels. i have done a 50% water change (drastic i no, but it needed to be done) and the tank is a little clearer now, so please help if u can.

and can u help me also in helping me upload pics so u can see my tank set up, i have atteched them and clicked upload but it doesnt seem like its working thanks again guys an gals

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 214
On quick glance (without reading the thread):
-Your gravel is a completely inappropriate size. Gravel of this size can easily be ingested, but not so easily passed. It can cause impactions of the digestive system which may (and have) lead to death.
-Your light is very bright. Axolotls are mainly nocturnal, and can be stressed by bright lights.
-You don't appear to have any hides for the axolotl. This can stress them even more.
-You have fish in your tank. This is usually frowned upon. Fish can be predatory, or even just nibblers: Axie gills look an awful lot like bloodworms. Or axolotls can mistake fish for food, which can have disastrous results.
-Your filter appears to be an internal filter. These can raise water temperatures, and can also lead to high flow rates, which are stressful for axolotls.

ok so new light (what wottage?)

new gravel

i have a hide, the gray tube bhind the air pump, also have a new plant the grates shade

filter....wot can i get? names and prieces please if possible,

an fish seem to leve him/her alone visea versa, and also let me no if any thing is wrong with the water (axies are alot hardier thean fish, and the fish will show signs of bad health before the axie) ...not saying that is is a good thing but will have to do be for i can afford a new tank

if anything more please let me know thanks

Ok, I don't think you need new gravel (unless it is larger size than your axolotl's mouth, they have big mouths), you need a new substate. Sand is a good idea or you can go a bare tank floor. These are both much easier than gravel or rocks to keep clean.

With filters, there are many different ones and all sorts of prices so I recommend you do some research on your own. Google around and ask some local pet stores. I have an internal filter like you so can't advise you on other types/brands/etc.

With your fish, goldfish (in fact, most fish) are not a good idea to keep with axolotls. You can't watch them 24/7 and it doesn't take much for a goldfish to do a bit of damage and stress out your axie. Also your axolotl may try to eat them too! It is not a good idea to rely on your fish getting sick to show you if your axolotl will get sick - an axolotl is an amphibian so can suffer a host of other problems that your fish may not. Instead, you should be doing water tests as this is much more reliable than waiting on a fish to get sick.

If you can't afford a new tank, plenty of people give them away - both my tanks were free from friends. Check out your local freecycle place - someone might be giving away one in your area. http://www.freecycle.org/

As far as filters, canister filters are almost always the best bet. Especially if you use spray-bars with them. If you must use an internal filter, baffling the output to lessen the movement of water is important.

I'm not sure where your information comes from that axolotls are hardier than fish. Amphibians are usually much more sensitive to environmental change than either reptiles or fish (both of which possess keratinized structures to make them more impervious to the elements: Scales).

o ok thanks, as soon as my wallet allows i will change things around thanks

Rich your filter is fine, just make sure you have it on the lowest setting so the current isnt too strong for the axolotls. One more thing, you might want to provide another hiding space, more cave like. An axolotl may find the strong lights uncomfortable and will be unsettled and try to look for a dark place to hide.

kk, i will do, anothe cave is a gd idea, an the light sittuation i have done a quick fix untill i can purches a new dimmer one, i have placed a piece of plastic between the tank and the light with sum paper on it to dim the light, this is only tempoary tho.

Rich, how come you have a light? They aren't really required for an axie and can be stressful for them if left on all the time. They much prefer the dark. Are your plants real? Sorry in advance if I am wrong, but I thought they were fake from the pic and as such wouldn't need light.

...bad advise from the aquatics shop again... and in the picture yes they are fake, but i now have a new plant that is real to help with the nitrate levels through pruducing alge, (By the way im Dislexic so sorry for bad spelling etc)

Your light will be fine as long as you turn it off at night (I keep mine on a timer.), and you give the axolotl a few places to fully hide himself during the day. However one thing you may want to be attentive to with a powerful light, is that it can heat up the water. If you plan to get live plants you may even want to keep a strong light.

Rich,

Great set-up matey and your axolotl is looking very healthy. But I would be very cautious with the goldfish because of the points made by everybody else. Just curious as to what plant(s) you have? And just a word of caution, you don't want algae to grow in your tank so it can eliminate the nitrate. Algae is a nuisance and when it does begin to proliferate, it becomes very hard to remove.

Jay.

A light is fine as long as the intensity is kept to a minimum. Some people like a light for aesthetic reasons Sarah. I only put my lights on in the evenings otherwise I can't see them and to be honest they dont seem bothered by it. The older one used to hide but now she is out and about with the other axolotl on and off all day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back