Chioglossa lusitanica

azzel

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello,
near the place where I live are some populations of Chioglossa lusitanica, in nortwest Spain.
Here you have some pics.
This is the typical habitat of Chioglossa, cold streams with lots of vegetation and dead leaves in the banks. This little salamander like cool places to live and breed.

-hab4copia.jpg

-hab3copia.jpg

Some adult Chioglossa:

-ch2copia.jpg

-ch6copia.jpg

-ch7copia.jpg

Here you can see the size of an adult

-ch3copia.jpg

Detail of the head

-ch5copia.jpg

these are the eggs and larvaes. The eggs are very big, near 1cm.

-eggcopia.jpg

-egg2copia.jpg

-ch4copia.jpg

-larvcopia.jpg

In this habitat lives too other amphibians as:

Salamandra salamandra gallaica

-gall2copia.jpg

-gall3copia.jpg

-gall1copia.jpg

Triturus boscai with Salamandra larvae

-bos2copia.jpg

young Triturus boscai

-bos1copia.jpg

Rana Iberica

-ranacopia.jpg

I hope you like these pics.
Best regards, Marco

I´m green of envy...o__o
Welcome to the forum fellow spanish freak hehehe btw...your nick really scares me xD
Great photos by the way, i love the habitat...that´s my idea of paradise xD.

I sure do, Azzel. Great animal and habitat pictures. Thank you very much. :D

I have to go to Spain. ; )
At first, the Azhael's photos, now yours. I'm really impressed the Spanish nature and animals.
Honestly I'm a little bit jealous, cause I feel like I'm living in a wrong place. Of course Poland is also very beautiful, but I can't compare its nature to Spanish.

Thanks for sharing Marco. It's great to see shots of eggs and larvae. The streams appear to be fast flowing (could just be the photo exposure). Do you find the adults in the flow of the water or only in calmer water?

fantastic pictures there! Anyone else think that those chinoglossa look more eurycea like than some eurycea!

Thanks for the photos....especially the salamandra ;-)

Thanks to everybody :)

The adult Chioglossas are out of the water, under dead leaves, rocks and Dead wood, but near the water. The eggs and can be found are in some little places were the water is slower, but always flowing. I have found groups of aproximately 20 eggs.

Azzel
Great photos.
You must come over here (Portugal) so we can visit some places to shoot some nice pics too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back