eggs

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
right, I have C. orientalis eggs people, !!!

I managed to get them to breed withought any cooling what so ever, I'll tell you how later..

but,

my problem is this:

I leave for Martinique tomorrow, I return on the 14th, thats 14 days, the eggs were laid yesterday.
Hatching artemia is something I don't think I can ask my flatmate to do, he allready has to feed the newts etc so I cant expect him to start raising larvae.

The only thing I can think of, is to put the eggs in the fridge to slow development until I return, but is this ok? what temp should I keep them at? is this the best idea? any suggestions?

I may have to pay my flatmate and give him an artemia hatching/water changing workshop if he agrees.

I personally wouldn't fridge them. If they were laid yesterday the chances of them hatching at cool room temperature (16-18C) within 14 days is very slim. They would normally take ~20 or more. Add to this the days when they'll be feeding from their yolk sac and you might not need to feed them invertebrates until a month from now.

Take them out of the adult tank though or they'll get eaten.

Oh, and congratulations!

Oh thats great..
I didn't realise it took that long, my L. vulgaris eggs hatched within a week I'm sure!? That was at around 19 C
anyway thats good thanks mark.

Well, nothing is guaranteed ;). Each species is different and I'm sure there are factors other than temperature that determine development speed. My only real experience of logging hatching dates is with Cynops pyrrhogaster and that took 22 days. I still think the chances of them fully developing and being ready to eat live food within 14 days is very unlikely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back