Illness/Sickness: JFBN -something wrong

Asso

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Today when I was going to feed my jfbn he acted strang. At first he sat at a plant, in "hunting mode" waiting for the worm, snapped at it a couple of times, but suddenly he just "shut off", closed his eyes and just sat in the plant. Then he swam away. I offered the worm again, but he showed no interest what so ever. Then he started to jump, as if he was in stress and bumped into the rock several times before he was able to climp it. Now he just sits there, hyperventilating, looking towards the wall and is not responding to anything, just sits there. He ate last friday, as usual, the watertemperature is 19.8 degrees celsius and I cleanded the tank also last friday (waterchange and cleaned the sand with a ... well equiptment for that purpose, don't know the english word). Usually he is quite social, comes and wants food when he see me and is not afraid of me. He is quite old, though, atleast 10 years old (im not his first owner).

Do you have any suggestionsabout what i should do? :sad:

What kind of worm was it? Sometimes, when feeding certain compost worms, biting will result in distasteful secretions being released by the worm as a defence mechanism. A newt getting a face full of these will often turn their nose up and even swim off. Once a newt loses interest any additional attempts may stress it.

If the newt is otherwise healthy I would try again tomorrow and see what happens.

What kind of worm was it? Sometimes, when feeding certain compost worms, biting will result in distasteful secretions being released by the worm as a defence mechanism. A newt getting a face full of these will often turn their nose up and even swim off. Once a newt loses interest any additional attempts may stress it.

If the newt is otherwise healthy I would try again tomorrow and see what happens.
It was a earth worm, but I've noticed before that some of them do secret liquid like the compost worms. I hope that that is what happened today, even though I've seen that before and today feelt different.

Thank you for your answer!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back