Question: Chinese Red Fire Bellied Newts

Emmerish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two chinese red fire bellied newts, a male and a female. The female spends most of the day hiding behind rocks and plants but the male sits on a rock in the corner of the tank and swims up to the surface then tries to 'burrow' in the pebbles, then swims to the back of the tank and does the same thing. He repeats this all day. Is this normal behaviour? He got trapped behind the filter a few days ago (this has now been rectified so it wont happen again). Could he be stressed out?

Thanks a Bundle

Emma :)

Sound like stress. In the wild a newt would spend the day time hiding from predators in dark nooks and crannies. You'll need to provide places where they feel safe. Create hides using cork bark, upside down clay pots, rocks, moss etc.

They have lots of hiding places and thats all my female does throughout the day. But my male just swims up and down. I'm just a little concerned about him.

Thanks a bundle

Emma

The male´s behaviour sounds like a problem in water quality.
I would first check that everything is perfect....enough volum of water, cycled aquarium, right parametres, right temps...
Do you have plants? This species LOVES hanging out on the plants, plus they are of great help in keeping the aquarium in good condition.

Its a large tank with lots of rocks and plants. If it was a problem with the water wouldnt affect the female as well?

Thanks

Emma

Hello,

I have also noticed this type of behavior on mine, especially on days when it is hot (do not forget I'm in Portugal) and also in the adaptation phase. Sometimes they also take other kinds of strange behavior, but only for a day or two. Do not forget that animals also have states of mind! :D I have helped!

Lusiwarrior, its funny you say that as he hasnt done it at all today. They have also been fed today. If they don't eat what do I do? Do I try again tomorrow or give it a couple of days?

Thanks a Bundle

Emma :)

Hi,
well it seemed that he did not do it all day! This behavior is usual to them, believe! Now how not to eat, assuming that you placed in the tank recently is also normal, are to adapt. In a few days begin to eat, you'll see. If you see that do not touch the food that you left them, exchange it for another!
lengths

I read that if they don't eat you have to keep giving them the same food for a week and offer no alternatives until they eat.

I have 2 newts; one showed interest in food straight away, he started eating properly after a week or two.

The second newt, showed no interest, after about 3 weeks I decided I'm going to have to try different foods; I bought brine shrimp, OMG the newts head was all over trying to eat and eat and eat. Both are eating fine now.

One will be hand fed for a few pieces and I place the rest in a bowl and he eats out of there; the other one (the fussy one) will only be hand fed, he will sniff food that has been left but will NOT eat it unless its being dangled in front of him.

I originally fed with blood worms until both were eating properly, the fussy newt was not interested in blood worms so as I said I bought brine shrimp, the fussy newt will now eat blood worms as well - ARGH I don't know why he wouldn't to start with. I'm off to get more variations for them soon :).

Try to feed them every day, but try different foods. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Foods
Best would be live food, but if that's not an option, frozen bloodworms would be the next-best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back