Question: Are my newts behaving normally?

xtiffanyx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
xTiFFanYx
My set up is a 29 gallon plexi-glass divided terrarium set up. The plexi-glass is about 8 inches deep providing tons of water and tons of land for the little guys. I have 3 of the fire-bellied newts. I just got them about 4 days ago and I keep finding them under plants. Is this okay? I am only worried because the one that stays on land the most (he almost hates the water) is SO SMALL. He is about half the size of the others...should I leave them hiding under the plant...or fish him out every morning? My water is about 66 degrees and is slightly hard. Maybe they are acting like this because it's still new to them? Thank you.

-Tiffany

I´m a little confused, is the plant on land?
If they are spending a lot of time on land it´s possible that water conditions are not ideal. They become terrestrial as a result of the stress of the importation and usually the neglectfull care of the petshop. In order to go back to an aquatic life, conditions must be perfect.
The smaller one might be a juvenile, in which case it will be completely terrestrial until it reaches maturity (some go to water earlier but it´s more of an exception).
They need to de-stress so don´t disturb them by taking them out of their hiding places.

Also, read this:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

The plant that 2 of the newts keep going under is on land. I just was afraid that they couldn't get out, but one is much bigger than the juvenile....Thank you so much!

I would let the small one stay on land, but the problem will be how to feed it. It is young, and it may be scared of the larger ones. If possible, try to condition it to hand-feed from a toothpick or tweezers (the ideal foods for this would be chopped worms or frozen bloodworms). Aside from that, you'll need a small live food, such as tiny crickets, etc.

Yeah I bought a dozen of the live tiny crickets but I just don't think that the little one is fast enough to get them. I put the frozen bloodworms in the water about every 2-3 days and i know the little one didn't eat yesterday. So I'll try the hand feeding today...I sure hope he eats. Is it weird that one of the bigger ones is also under the plant sometimes with the little one?

No, they are quite gregarious when they are terrestrial.
Give earthworms a try. Even small pieces wrigle for some time which catches the attention of the newts. If you can, get your hands on some lesser waxworms....they create a great feeding response, few animals resist them (don´t abuse them, though, they are high in fat and not nutritionally complete).

okay...thank you so much!

I still can't get the little one to eat. Is there a better time of the day I should try to feed him? Like at night or evening time? I tried bloodworms with no luck and he has no interest in the crickets. I am worried how long he can go without eating.

I suspect that the crickets may be too large. Try to find pinheads if you can. Or live fruit flies (I found some at Petco once, and reptile specialty stores should have them or be able to order them).

Teaching a newt to hand-feed from a toothpick takes a LOT of patience. I know it's frustrating, but keep trying. I don't know if another time of day would be better, but maybe in the evening when the light level is lower.

The other thing that might help are tiny pieces of earthworm on the toothpick, rather than the bloodworm. Sometimes the smell of this is irresistible (to the newt, that is!), and it's not hard to find Canadian nightcrawlers - you can buy them at most Walmart stores and all bait shops.

I bought some redworms today. My local petstore said they would be better, so I'll let you know if he eats :) Thanks a bunch!

One of my newts wouldn't eat anything - Brineshrimp (frozen) worked in the end.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back