Another A.mavortium breeding. First in Sweden?

vide

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Vide Ohlin
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to give a quick report on an A.mavortium breeding.
I and two friends share a basement where we keep a number of salamander species. Among them is a grope of 7 A.mavortium (2.4.1). These animals, which are owned by my two friends, were bought 2-3 years ago in Germany. At this point I am unsure about if they were breed there or not.

They are kept in a 120x40x50 cm tank with a 13 cm layer of soil and some hides that they rarely use since they are active on the surface most of the time.

Temps were they are kept were quite high during the summer, around 25C, and they declined gradually during the fall to around 10C from mid November to February, with occasional drops down to 6C.

During December they started showing sexual readiness. The breeding was a bit of a fluke, we were planning on breeding them later in the year in an outside setup. So my friend took them out to sex them and put them in a bucket with water to rinse them of and the males actually started courting right in the bucket! This was on the 27 of January.
When he saw that reaction he set up two tanks (100x50x50) with about 23 cm of water in them, a small island of stones and some gravel on the bottom. Like I sad he divided the sexually mature animals into two gropes of 1.2. After a couple of days of intensive courting and spermatophor deposition the two females in one of the tanks started laying. Temps where 10-11c. In the other tank no eggs were produced. Temps were a bit higher there but only 1-2 degrees so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

Female laying on thermometer cord.

Male.

They lade the eggs all over but especially on a plastic plant I added which was absolutely covered in eggs. There were a lot of eggs! Hard to estimate but probably 1000-2000.

The eggs developed nicely and started hatching after about three weeks.

We ‘we had some losses of larvae to what I think is fungal infection that seems to pop up when they are over crowded. This was reversed in some of the larvae by treatment with "Sera Mycopur".

The largest once are now around 6cm and have started developing the hind legs.

There is of course a lot more I could ad but pleas ask if you are missing any info.

Cheers,

Vide

Absolutely brilliant!!!!!
Ambystomatid breedings continue to come up more and more these days, and it´s great news that A.mavortium is increasing it´s captive bred numbers.

I find the larvae to be quite beautiful as they get older, so please keep us updated :)

Hi all! The first A.mavortium are starting to morph. The individual in the pictures is around 10 cm long.
vide-albums-vides-pix-picture11017-ambystoma-mavortium-captive-bred-metamorph.jpg

vide-albums-vides-pix-picture11019-ambystoma-mavortium-captive-bred-metamorph.jpg

vide-albums-vides-pix-picture11018-ambystoma-mavortium-captive-bred-metamorph.jpg

Cheers,

Vide

This is pretty cool to read and see. How many larvae are you currently caring for? What percentage of the eggs made it through to hatching? I have lots of questions because I would like to try and someday breed mavortium or and of the related species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back