Oil Disaster

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Didn't know where else to post this, but I've been watching the news on the recent oil spill, and thought I should start a thread about it. I know there are no coastal species of caudates, but I believe that what affects the coast will affect inland habitats as well, especially if this hurricane season blows oil into freshwater habitats such as the Louisiana swamps and the everglades (my next door neighbor).

Just an update, if you watch the news right now (I'm looking at FOX), you'll see many birds and other wildlife that have been covered and are slowly dying in the oil. The oil is predicted to hit the floirda coast tommorow.
This is going to destroy everything along the gulf and florida coast and everywhere else the current takes it.

I don't even believe its happening... It´s so strange how someone let it be till this stage... I don't get it... While these fellas should be making the difference using renewable energies, they keep seeking energy from dead life turned into hydrocarbons... That´s what I call making a bet into the past, while it should be in future. Now because on this stuff we will lost and cry for the inevitable lost of hundred species of corals and fish only seen there or some even never known of science will die without we had knowledge of them...:mad:

I live in Louisiana and its bad where I'm at when I go outside you can smell the oil and it is in the marsh killing more then just brids there are alot of turtles and aligators the oil is running them out of the swamps and onto the highways and they are getting hit by cars It is sad to see a 10 mile strech of road with 5or 6 dead aligators and its because of the oil and there halfass ways of cleaning it up

I'm from LA too but away over here in Germany now - I was under the impression that they don't know HOW to clean it up? Or to stop the leak at all?

-Eva

That's a pretty good impression Eva. :mad: Apparently the money all went to figure out how to get the oil out of the seabed and little to none of it went to figuring out what to do should this occur. The safety measures were all ignored or known to be faulty for months before this happened. We have a regulatory agency that was in bed with the indusry they were supposed to regulate.
I'm on the West Coast of Florida where I run a boat manufacturing company. I've had to listen to the "Drill baby Drill" idiots for years... MANY of them commercial fishermen. It's interesting yet sad to see the lightbulb FINALLY go on when they find out about closed fishing areas and the ramifications of the spill to their livelihoods..
Of course... the people in Government here in Florida are all from some other state so they really only give lip service to conservation, tourism, and the fishing and other industries that depend on clean water. They are all owned by the oil companies like every other politician in the US...but right now they have to shut up and act like they care.

We had a spill a few years back...and they messed it up too, they didn´t know how to deal with it.
I was in the affected area some months after it happened and you could see the damage it had done. These things are catastrofies in the moment, but the effects, although subtle, last very very long.

I think it´s absolutely ridiculous we are still using oil. The fact that it´s still in use and that it´s ALL because of monetary interests is simply decadent...

We all need to lesson our carbon footprint (except when it comes to using resources to get caudates).

What needs to be done is make alternative renewable energy resources as profitable and safer than fossil fuels. That way the money grubbers will go to alternative energy. I think some of the people from BP wish they were building wind mills now.

To top it all off BP has offered 25 mil to the state of Florida as a way to band-aide the situation. That figure doesn't even come close to the value of wildlife that is being sacrificed. It won't be long now before it reaches our local beaches, if it hasnt already, and just in time for summer! :nono:

Instead of surfing Inlet I'll be volunteering on Florida's east coast all summer long and I encourage the other locals to do their part as well!

It won't be long now before it reaches our local beaches, if it hasnt already, and just in time for summer! :nono:

Yeah, and what saddens me: All this time I've been looking forward to getting back to New Orleans and getting some oysters! Now I don't know if they will ever be edible again. 'Tis a sad day indeed. ;)

What needs to be done is make alternative renewable energy resources as profitable and safer than fossil fuels.

Here in Germany, alternative/renewable energies is Big Business. Every university student I know is studying something involved in this sector. Germany can be proud to be world leaders in this area, and to have already met and in part exceeded the reduction goals set by the Kyoto Protocol. (I don't think USA is one of the countries in on that agreement, is it?)

I agree that the oil companies - to paraphrase Gandalph - got too greedy, dug too deep, and awakened something they can't control.

-Eva

I live in Louisiana and its bad where I'm at when I go outside you can smell the oil and it is in the marsh killing more then just brids there are alot of turtles and aligators the oil is running them out of the swamps and onto the highways and they are getting hit by cars It is sad to see a 10 mile strech of road with 5or 6 dead aligators and its because of the oil and there halfass ways of cleaning it up

That's horrible. I just the images of the birds on the news were devastating. I can't even imagine what else is happening to other wildlife. Whats sad is I here that there is a company (don't know the name) that is willing to throw hay in the oil to absorbit and then haul it away, but instead of hiring them, the BP is throwing in chemicals that are as bad as the oil itself and the government is just standing by waching. Amazing how stupid people can be

I'm up here in CT for the summer, so I can't be in Miami to help volunteer, but I was thinking; does anyone know where we can make donations?:confused:

I'm up here in CT for the summer, so I can't be in Miami to help volunteer, but I was thinking; does anyone know where we can make donations?:confused:

I'm not sure where you can donate money but here is a site where people can donate their pets hair to help with the gulf of mexico spill.
http://inhabitat.com/2010/05/04/donate-your-dog-and-cat-hair-to-clean-up-the-oil-spill/
and another..
http://racked.com/archives/2010/05/...your-hair-to-help-clean-up-gulf-oil-spill.php

A friend of mine owns a hair salon and since hair also absorbs the oils naturally she is collecting all the hair she can to bring to the beaches. So I would say (to anyone willing) talk to the person who does your hair or call the local salons and see if they're donating their spare hair to the states affected by the oil spill. If they're not already, prompt them to donate, a little really does go a long way!!

People are even using peat moss and other things to soak up the oil.. yet the company responsible for the spill refuses to use any natural, non-toxic alternative methods. They would actually rather use a chemical that is equally as dangerous as the oil itself to try and clean up the mess they have created, going as far as to stating a press release categorically rejecting these natural harmless alternatives. Stupidity at its finest.

Last edited:
Every government is now pressuring BP to solve the problem. But if not every government will do what it can to help right now, this oil leak will become a world disaster that will affect every living creature on this planet.
Right now they all have to help BP and punish them later. Oil that will be spread by hurricanes , Oil damps and poisonous rain might become a big problem for our clean drinkingwater...

We humans are so 'mighty' that we made it possible to fly to the moon and even walk on it, but we are not able to close a selfmade leak...

this whole thing is very confusing to me, i have never actually been part of an oil-spill (i have never lived by the coasts) but from what i've read/heard most spills are quickly contained and treated very promptly with bacteria/hay/other natural products/mild-chemicals, so whats going on with this spill? why is it so rampant and under controlled?

these kinds of things always saden me, there is no positive gain from them, only death and loss, millions of dollars is wasted, countless thousands of living beings are killed, and no one seems to understand the true ramifications of these events.

when will big-business learn that death is never appealing.

so whats going on with this spill? why is it so rampant and under controlled?

My limited understanding is that the piece of kit which prevents the oil from escaping has failed. I suppose it’s a bit like the valve on a bicycle inner tube. Clearly no-one had the foresight to consider what might happen if the valves failed. That’s quite an oversight considering the impact a fault of this nature has. It’s out of control simply because this is not a situation anyone planned for. We’re not talking about a few barrels from a sinking ship, it’s an entire oil well. Think of the inner tube, the valve has blown and you have no way to stop the air escaping, it won’t stop until all the air has escaped.

They’ve placed a cap on the faulty valve and appear to be collecting a good amount of the oil, which is a start. The previous efforts were just plain desperate – golf balls?!

Mark,
There were multiple problems with the rig in the months previous to the disaster. The drill itself started bringing up parts of a vital seal that had failed and BP decided to continue drilling. One of two "failsafe shutoff" valve switches had gone down and BP decided to continue drilling. Many of the safety standards "required" by the Minerals Management Service (MMS) were overlooked and none of the required rig and spill plans had been examined by the MMS as they were basically in bed with, and "owned" by BP so it was a bit of a Fox in charge of the henhouse situation. On they drilled.
When the disaster first occurred BP had no idea how large the spill was or how badly damaged the equipment was. There have been rumors (I cannot comment on the validity) that at first they were more concerned with recovering the oil than they were in containing it. Add to that the scarcity of materials to deal with a spill of this magnitude, what some of us see as an unwillingness by BP to accept outside help, the fact that the problem was greater than anyone, BP included, could have imagined, a focus that was on getting oil OUT of the ground instead of stopping oil from flowing uncontrollably INTO the Gulf, our old friend Greed, and this is what you get.
Idiots here in the US STILL think we can drill our way out of the problem and provide our own domestic resources. They are misguided and wrong, or greedy and wrong but I am, quite frankly, Tired of arguing with them.
The oil companies here drill on public lands to procure crude oil that costs them much less than it does on the oil market... yet they sell it at the same price to us and to OTHER countries. We apparently need to break our dependence on foreign oil by drilling domestically and then making windfall profits selling it to other people. Even T. Boone Pickens, America's most famous oil man, stated "This is not a problem we can drill our way out of".
There is a "moratorium" on new drilling... but most of the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (and probably all over the world) are in the same half fannied shape as the Deepwater Horizon was.
But oil is big business and lots of Americans own oil company stock so we have plenty of people who are willing to destroy everything except their wallets. Rant much Mac? :kill:

Think of the inner tube, the valve has blown and you have no way to stop the air escaping, it won’t stop until all the air has escaped.

that's got to be a lot of oil escaping into our water-system, this is simply unacceptable, no matter what situatiun it was that let this happen, there should be failsafe systems and redundencies in place to stop such things from happening.

to Mac, i agree completely, since when did paper become more valuable than the future of our waterways and our children? somewhere in the ages beyond time, one caveman royally messed up when he wanted 3 shells for his shiny rock... :nono:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back