Question: What axie colors are rare in your area?

satyrlike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Satyrlike
Reading all of these different posts every day got me to wondering about what axxies colors are rare in different areas. For example, there are *no* axxies in my area. None at all. No hobbyists, no breeders, etc... I'm yet to have someone see Cpt Jack and even know what he is. The most common response I get is "Is that a lizard?". So, in your areas, what is the most rare coloration or are you like me and there simply are none in your area?

Re: What axxie colors are rare in your area?

There are none in my area at all. Only ever seen 1 in a pet shop and that was about 10 years ago! I've been into all the local pet shops I can get to atm and none even sell brine shrimp eggs... One shop assistant said to me today 'Brown what?', then when I explained what I was after and what they were for he said, 'Sorry we don't stock anything reptile related.', poor man had to then endure a lecture from my 4 year old boy about how it wasn't a reptile :nono:

In my area there are some breeders and many keepers. :D
Sometimes you can find them in pet shops.

I only know of one other axolotl owner by me - Theres hardly any in my area! Theres only ONE pet shop i know of that sells axies but its a bit of a drive. I cant seem to find any white leucistic axolotls anywhere so i'm getting a wildtype delivered to me instead hahaa!

If you see axies at all around here (very rare) they are all leucistic. I managed to get myself a gorgeous little wild type and I now have some goldens courtesy of Mojo :D but the only ones I have ever seen being sold are leucistics.

as far as i know, i'm the only one in my area who's ever heard of axolotls. but that's okay, i'm enjoying the reactions i get when i show everyone what i'm getting :)

I've seen an advert for someone selling an axie or 2, with a tank, locally. I've met Razeila on here, who lives 5-10mins drive from me (who had an axie before, but then had some of my axies' eggs + I fetched 2 of the juvenile leucistics for, when fetching mine recently). And, someone at 1 of my local reptile / aqua shops used to own a few axies. Apart from that, the only people locally who I know have got / had axolotls are someone 15-20 mins drive away from me, who had some of my axies' eggs (but already had a wild-type + I fetched 2 of the leucistic juveniles for) + I now see quite regularly, my friend who I fetched axies for when I got my original 3 (which are the 1s I have been fostering + nursing back to health) and now my next door neighbour (who I fetched 2 of the leucies for).
So, my nearest were the leucies, a couple of hours train ride away (though I have since seen some wild-types + goldens about 1 hour away by train) + the originals were from several hours train ride away.
As far as I know, there are no local breeders or shops that sell axolotls.

As far as I know, Swarley is the only lotl in my area. My local pet store claimed to get them occasionally, but didn't know how to spell axolotl so I'm skeptical. :rolleyes:

I saw my first two axies a few months ago about 40 miles away. I havent seen them anywhere before or since. I heard from a local mad pet store owner, (who calls them Oxys by the way, and says there is a C somewhere in the name), that there was an owner locally who wanted some earthworms for one, no idea who they are but I would recommend that they avoid the mad pet store lady, as I have been waiting for over a week for some brine shrimp eggs and she still hasnt ordered them, and as I pointed out, without the eggs, my larvae will Die!! So much for West Cumbria!!

My next cunning plan is to spread the word about axies locally, and populate the world with axies, from this end anyway. I know its a small drop in the ocean or lake, but its a start!!

And ebay is best for anything or everything one might need!!

Last edited:
Well I have a light Grey Axolotl with spots and red gills (technically wild type). But I haven't seen any other like her anywhere.. she's soo cool. I also have a black with spots but they're quite common in my area.

The pet shop near my house has a worker who breeds axies at his house so i can pretty much get whatever colours there are..

Which reminds me.. I'm thinking of getting a golden albino.. any thoughts??

Aimz, I have a golden that is just stunning and very social so I'm all for you getting one. I'd love to see a picture of yours. I'm intrigued by the light grey coloration.

I'm getting a melanoid next week, and, as I found out from pictures on here, the darker lotls and the golden albinos look amazing together! But I was just rationalizing buying two instead of one :rolleyes:

axies are very common in Perth, almost every pet shop and aquarist stocks them, even some garden centers carry them! this means they are relatively cheap, you will almost never pay more than $30 for one. they usually come for about $20 for a decent sized one.

Goldens, wild-types and black melanoids are the norm, I've yet to come across any leucistics though. but the goldens would have to be the most common, axies are usually priced by colour, and how common they are. goldens are the cheapest, they sell for about $20 each, and the black melanoids are the more expensive ones.

I just recently got two leucistic axolotls and a wild-type. All three with the the green fluorescent protein that makes them glow under blacklight.

There's no breeders or anyone else I know around where I live in. The only reason I got an axolotl was through a university that studies their genetics and had an unexpected litter.

I've only seen Axies in a couple of stores. I haven't found any breeders. I've never seen a leucistic or wild type here, only golden albinos, albinos and the black ones. (I reaally want a black one though xD)

The store I got mine from said they ordered them from interstate though, Brisbane I think they said

Last edited:
Every 2nd pet shop has them near me and you rarely pay more $30 for one, in saying that I saw a black one with beautiful gold/tan dots over her body and the pet shop wanted $50 for her....... I have seen wilds, golden, luey and the lasted craze is the very pretty copper ones. The pet shops in Brisbane have to buy them from interstate as well and I was told that Melbourne is the only place allow to sell to pet shops.

I've seen lots of axi's in my local pet shops but know of no other axi owners/breeders apart from myself. I have also found that loony's (leustic) are pretty hard to get your hands on here... wild types are the most common followed by golden

So glad I chanced upon my loony when I did :D

I also know I got royally ripped off.... I payed $40 for my pretty axi even thought she wasn't in great shape... but I love her so I don't care too much

Oh and I also wanted to add that I paid $39.95 for my first Axie, My second one they were having a 'fish sale' and had like 30 or 40% off all fish. They included the Axies in that and I had a $5 fish voucher which they used on him as well so he was only about $20.

But yea, the stores I've seen them in here they are generally $30-$40

Hmmm welll since I've gotten my axi I've seen them around and they seem to be commonly going for about $25. However the place I got my little dear from us still selling for $40.

Oh the other day I saw the biggest rip ever!!! This reptile shop had a couple of small salamanders and they wanted $150 each for them!!! I was horrified, sure they were well looked after but not worth that much

As far as i know of there are only two breeders in my area, myself and a teacher who i recieved my axolotls from. I have yet to hear about a wild type axolotl from him but i'm still curious as to what my babies will become. Only him and i, that i know of, have axolotls in this area. I do know of a regular customer at the pet store where i work who will be getting some axolotls from "the teacher." I hope they take care of them correctly. :( They have a LOT of animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back