Keeping cool????

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
I was getting some fire bellies and i don't know how to keep the tank cool. Aquarium chillers are a bit pricey for me. I am aiming to get them unless there is another species of "NEWT" that is semi aquatic that doesn't require low temp. I would like it to be fairly medium size. (4 in).

thank you

Frogman

There's an article on cooling techniques here.

Unfortunately, all species of caudates are temperate, most requiring cooler temperatures. There are only a handful of species that can tolerate temperatures for longer than that, but none can tolerate temperatures over 80F for long periods of time.

Fill water bottles up with water and freeze them. Once there froze place them in the tank. This is a cheap way of cooling.:artist::frog:

What are they.

Have a look at Cynops ensicauda, cyanurus and pyrrhogaster, they should be able to tolerate slightly higher temperatures than C. orientalis (the first two species more so).
Considering how difficult and expensive cooling is, I think it would be worth waiting for these newts, even if they are not available at the moment. There are breeders so best if you look in the "for sale/wanted" section and place an ad yourself.

Although C. orientalis might be available cheaply from a pet shop, they will most likely be wild caught animals which carries it's own risks and is morally questionable.

You can find caresheets here.

By the way, all these newts are mainly aquatic, not semi-aquatic.

Where are you from Frogman? What temperatures are mostly the maximum in your state?

Only once a week one time every year it gets into the high 90s outside.But usually it stays in the 70s.

Then you shouldn't have any problem keeping a majority of species. Just for those few days that it's hot, you'll have to do a little extra to keep the tank cool.

You had me under the impression you were somewhere hot like Florida or Hawaii!

I would like to live in hawaii

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back