Retarded baby axolotl

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
I know it's a bit funny to call it retarded... but he is. He's physically retarded :confused:

The larvae are about a month old now and are forming their front legs. There is one baby who just hatched wrong... It looks like he had a stroke. He is bent into a complete U shape, like a little horseshoe. Its not like he's stressed and curled up, it’s just how he is, he came out that way. He swims around in a little circle and can't go anywhere. If he turns upside down, he swims really fast in little loops but can’t get up the right way without help. The problem is he is perfectly healthy in every other way. He eats fine and he is growing like the others, but is not straightening out. He waits till the brine shrimp swim in front of his face then zooms around in a circle with his mouth open and manages to eat quite a bit. It doesn't look like he is going to grow out of his deformity, but is growing healthily none the less. I don't know what to do? No one is going to want to keep a retarded adult axolotl, and even then is it cruel to do so? He can’t see or swim properly. I didn't dispose of him because I though natural selection would take its tole and he would have died naturally... but this is not the case, he is healthy! So what now? I can’t kill him, I might be stuck with him. I have grown quite attached, we have named him "Tardo". I love him but I am not sure if I want the extra strain of looking after a gimpy axolotl, or know if he is in any pain? It could even be extra fun but i'm not sure.

i drew this picture of him... i attatched it.

Its weird, one side is a lot smaller than the other and is a different colour. His inside smaller part is white, his gills and leg are smaller on that side, and that side has a tiny, different coloured eye. The eye is pale grey while the other side is dark black. The stronger side of the baby (the outside of the U) is a darker colour all over too. The dark bit doesn't stretch down to his tail though. Its like he has a gimpy right side and it has caused him to grow into a U and not develop properly.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• tardo.jpg
    tardo.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,188
It sounds like you have a chimera!

This can happen (correct me if I'm wrong) when two developing axies fuse together to form one organism, kindof like siamese twins. Normally they come out perfectly functional, but one side can grow more slowly than the other. If the growth rate is too different the axie could die.

Here's an older post about another chimera. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xicanum/66997-1-2-gfp-1-2-normal-chimera.html

i thought about this... and its cool but what if he dies or is in pain? i love him though. So retarded and cute :D

well, most cases I've ever seen of chimeras is that they are split perfectly down the middle, but yours only seems to be a small portion.

I'm guessing that if he were in pain you'd see signs of stress, and he probably wouldn't have much of an appetite. Then it would be a time to decide what is best for him.
I guess he swims in circles because that one small portion is bigger and stronger? Maybe once the other side develops he will right himself out!

It sounds kinda cute. I think you can let nature take its course and give him/her the best life possible that you can. Every axies needs a loving parent even the ones that dont look the same as the others. As long as there is no suffering of course.

Last edited:
thanks guys! I will do just this. I'll try to take a photo of shim tonight :D

Deleted my post, but used the shim part? :p im sure there are plenty of people that would want him. If i ever decide to breed my axie, and this happened... Shim would be all mine :D

I also like ur drawing :D

Last edited:
I don't know... a 'spinner' is usually culled. This sounds strange, though, not like a usual spinner.

haha... a spinner? i didn't get a chance to get a photo (i dont have a camera so i'm relying on my boyfriends phone) i'll try try try tonight

cool. hope your guy makes it. i have an axolotl with only one eye myself and he acted some what retarded growing up but now he seems fine.

Am i the only one offended by the repeated use of the term "retarded" ?

I'm pretty sure yellowpebble meant to use the term legitimately, not in a derogatory or 'slang' manner, at least initially.

nope he still only has one eye. there some pictures of him on my profile.

sorry i didn't mean to offend anyone. I didn't mean it as a derogatory thing... i should have used another word to describe his condition like "deformed" or "stunted"... although they dont sound that great either. I meant it in the litteral term of physical retardedness, the inability to grow or function correctly, not as an insult to my axolotl.

Calling him "Tardo" is just a sick joke of mine, i actually love him very much.

Last edited:
Retarded is just another word for different, or special. He didn't mean to offend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back