Question: More detail on "The Shine"

fire_newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'v heard many people refer to "the shine" and I have a few questions about it.

Is this condition specific to Taricha granulosa and Tylototriton species? If not what other species can get it?
What exactly is it? (bacterial, fungal, viral ect)
How do you cure it? what actions do you as an owner take?
Is it easily passed on from one newt to another?

The only real information I can find about this is a picture on this link
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 3

I don't think any species is immune to 'the shine'; I've heard of it in Cynops species as well.

As for what it is... I don't know if anyone has a good answer. Maybe Ed can chime in. 'The shine' seems to be a general symptom of something more ominous, or perhaps just an outward expression of the body shutting down. The general consensus is that once an animal gets 'the shine', it's probably too late to do anything.

I don't think any species is immune to 'the shine'; I've heard of it in Cynops species as well.

As for what it is... I don't know if anyone has a good answer. Maybe Ed can chime in. 'The shine' seems to be a general symptom of something more ominous, or perhaps just an outward expression of the body shutting down. The general consensus is that once an animal gets 'the shine', it's probably too late to do anything.

I've seen it. It always looks like the mucosal glands in the skin are being stimulated for some reason and are producing more than normal, this makes the skin look wet (hence shiny).. The paratoid and poison glands do not appear to be actively secreting (no whitish or mikly exudates) more than normal.

I suspect that there are probably several different causes but if putting the caudates on a soil substrate increases survivial then it may be due to osmoregulation issues (speculatation on my part).

oh ok. I was under the impression that the shine was a illness all of its own. Thanks for the clarification

oh ok. I was under the impression that the shine was a illness all of its own. Thanks for the clarification

It could be.. I don't think we have good data to say for sure one way or another.. hence my suspicion that it could be a symptom but it is only that a suspicion.

Ed

I would have to agree that is appears to be more of a symptom rather than a illness all on its own. About 6 months back, I received 2 tylototriton Shanjing. Both had the shine as well as severely developed sores on their heads. When I saw what type of enclosure they use to be in, it was clear that it was unacceptable. I.e thin layer of dirt drenched in water.

Will a little tlc and dedication, the sores went away and so did the shine. So I'm not completely sure if I would agree its a sure sign of imminent death. But yet again, these are the only two cases I've personally seen.

Hi Kay,

What kind of TLC did you do exactly? My CFB got the sores last sunday. And he's not getting any better. But he's a fighter so I've been reading up and trying my best to help him recover, any tips?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back