Photo: Need egg ID, native wetland maintenance.

knifegill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our new house has a 30,000-ish gallon pond and I'm afraid we might have invasive bullfrogs. I've pulled out several egg masses just to ID, most appear to be ambystoma (those go back in as soon as you confirm they are not bullfrog), but I want expert/hobbyist help!

The white eggs are in hard, clear masses wrapped around lily stems.

IMGP7639_zpsf0d0414d.jpg

IMGP7638_zps52157821.jpg

IMGP7637_zps417b9ea0.jpg

IMGP7636_zpsdb37c67c.jpg

IMGP7635_zps2ec95a10.jpg

I've seen red legged frogs, and I think I've heard the bigger bullfrogs.

I should add, here are some local mandermanders I've found in the yard, other tiny pond, etc.:

542654_10200558575664459_1771187557_n.jpg

487399_10200558574184422_636962756_n.jpg

in a mass like that they aren't axolotl.

more then likely that first pic gracile eggs

No, axolotl is impossible. Other ambystoma for sure! What about the white eggs? Any guesses?

No, axolotl is impossible. Other ambystoma for sure! What about the white eggs? Any guesses?

oh sorry, I thought you were talking about one set of eggs, the baseball sized clump. I didn't realize they were all diffrent lol

It'd be hard to tell not knowing age and from just white balls what they were though,
do you have albino axolotls in there? could be there's since they lay white eggs.

Google-fu is leading me to believe the white eggs are Northwestern salamander eggs. I'll put those back first thing in the morning. The rest of the black ones still could be bullfrog eggs, but I have to figure out WHICH bullfrog they are! Do I nuke them or put them back? :(

Google-fu is leading me to believe the white eggs are Northwestern salamander eggs. I'll put those back first thing in the morning. The rest of the black ones still could be bullfrog eggs, but I have to figure out WHICH bullfrog they are! Do I nuke them or put them back? :(

Ouch!
Can you put them in a separate tub?
You could see if the end up tadpole or larvae

Yes, I might split them up and hatch them in tanks or tubs to ID before unleashing...is this the wrong subtopic? I expected a lot more activity!

Cleaned out a lot of algae and floating grass, found no tadpoles yet so I'm still ahead of the curve. Put all the white eggs back, set up a plastic pond for the black eggs.

Being on the wrong side of the pond I'm no expert in Ambystoma eggs but since you posted a photo of Ambystoma gracile who lay clumps of eggs around stems I'd say that would be a good ID guess for the white eggs. The black eggs/embryos are almost certainly frogs.

Cool, thanks. And I think it's too early for bullfrog mating, so I might just put all of these back and hope they are native frogs...not sure yet!

Bullfrogs don't lay eggs until the middle of summer, usually July in the northern climates.

At this time a year they are almost 100% going to be salamander eggs. Unless you have wood frogs in your home range.

Yes, all hatching out to be apparent salamanders. Assuming they are ambystoma gracile, which they almost certainly are, is it true that a. gracile is facultatively neotenic, and can be kept in aquatic form? Can this be done? I'd love to raise one or two as big neotenics to keep with my axolotl!

Extrapolating from this An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie I might do well to maintain the small pond, add a filter and do water changes, perhaps providing an escape route for those that do morph and keeping those that don't...and choose any that seem interesting from among them.

yellow ones are bullfrogs, I cant tell what the black ones are but some hatched in my pond.
:happy:

Really? Bullfrog tadpoles are yellow?

Here's a frog from my backyard. Leopard?

IMGP7645_zpsf0a54d3b.jpg

Lol, some herp forum. Can't even ID a frog. Why do I come here?

Why do I come here?

Seemingly because you can't be bothered to do your own research. Perhaps you should join a frog forum if you want folks to ID frogs? That photo is too dark for me to tell. It's some kind of Ranid by the looks of it.

Tell you what, here's a list of all the amphibians in your state: http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_q...code=like&orderbyaw=Order&where-state_code=WA

There's range maps, photos and excellent species info. Take a look next time you find something, that way you won't have to feel let down by the newt and salamander forum ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back