The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 19th December 2019   #1
JustenT

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JustenT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New tank help! Sub adult axolotl tank size?

Hello, I have 2 sub adult axies.
They are my babies and rn I have them in a 20 gallon tank. Itís a 20 long, I want more room for them, so I have a few questions.
They are currently on a stand, that can fit 32 x 18

I found This: is it bigger even know it has less gallons, would it be better because itís low, and wide, and long?

https://aqualabaquaria.com/collectio...nature-systems

I also found a 18x18x18 25 gallon cube, would this acceptable even know it would be less surface, I could add a platform in the middle that could span half the tank. Would that be better than the first option, or does anyone have any ideas? I was staying away for a 29 gallon, I really like the rimless look because my other 5 tanks are rimless. Please help, if anyway has any better options in the sub 200$ mark please let me know.

JustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019   #2
Kitan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Kitan has given good advice and informationKitan has given good advice and information
Default Re: New tank help! Sub adult axolotl tank size?

More floor space is always better than depth, BUT with two axolotls that can grow 10-15" I expect 10 gallons would be VICIOUS to keep the ammonia down. Additionally, if you have a 20 long, the measurements should be roughly 30x12x12, meaning the one you linked to actually has less floor space, by 5" or so. I would completely avoid the cube; the space is as much for swimming as walking, so adding a second level wont really work.

I would think the best solution for your upgrade would be checking second hand options, like kijiji or craig's list. You can find huge aquariums for under $200. I got my 29 gal, with filter, for $40 CAD. No, I am not suggesting a 29 gal That wont have more floor room than your 20 long, but just showing the kind of deals you can get

Good luck in your hunt

Kitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019   #3
Cgilliam9x19

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cgilliam9x19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New tank help! Sub adult axolotl tank size?

Also, something ive been doing recently is building ďlevelsĒ out of pvc and other aquarium safe materials. So if you have a taller tank this is also an option! :)

Cgilliam9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, size