New tank help! Sub adult axolotl tank size?

JustenT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have 2 sub adult axies.
They are my babies and rn I have them in a 20 gallon tank. It’s a 20 long, I want more room for them, so I have a few questions.
They are currently on a stand, that can fit 32 x 18

I found This: is it bigger even know it has less gallons, would it be better because it’s low, and wide, and long?

https://aqualabaquaria.com/collecti...-rimless-aquarium-10-gal-ultum-nature-systems

I also found a 18x18x18 25 gallon cube, would this acceptable even know it would be less surface, I could add a platform in the middle that could span half the tank. Would that be better than the first option, or does anyone have any ideas? I was staying away for a 29 gallon, I really like the rimless look because my other 5 tanks are rimless. Please help, if anyway has any better options in the sub 200$ mark please let me know.

More floor space is always better than depth, BUT with two axolotls that can grow 10-15" I expect 10 gallons would be VICIOUS to keep the ammonia down. Additionally, if you have a 20 long, the measurements should be roughly 30x12x12, meaning the one you linked to actually has less floor space, by 5" or so. I would completely avoid the cube; the space is as much for swimming as walking, so adding a second level wont really work.

I would think the best solution for your upgrade would be checking second hand options, like kijiji or craig's list. You can find huge aquariums for under $200. I got my 29 gal, with filter, for $40 CAD. No, I am not suggesting a 29 gal :p That wont have more floor room than your 20 long, but just showing the kind of deals you can get :D

Good luck in your hunt :D

Also, something ive been doing recently is building “levels” out of pvc and other aquarium safe materials. So if you have a taller tank this is also an option! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back