The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 3rd February 2010   #1
Teun

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Teun has started on the right path
Default My axolotl keeps floating

Hi,

I've had my axolotl for about 2 years now, and he's always been healthy. But lately, it looks as he cannot stay on the ground anymore. He keeps floating on top of my aquarium, and tries really hard to get to the bottom (where the food is).

Sometimes he just hangs at the filter that sucks from the bottom up. What could be causing this? It has been quite cold outside, but the water isn't unusually warm.

I feed him daphnia from the pet store and I'm raising guppies for him in a seperate aquarium (but I haven't given him one yet).

I'm getting worried because it looks so sad..

Teun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #2
Tina
(callina)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: My axolotl keeps floating

HI,

Daphnia isnīt the right food for adult axolotls (itīs only good for larvae), better are earthworms and a varied diet. Take a look at this link: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

To get rid of the gas you should put him in the fridge. http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

Greetz, Tina

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #3
melfly
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Another thing, what substrate do you use? ie sand, gravel.
And what is the temp of your tank

Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #4
Teun

Nationality:

I have no substrate on the ground.

Is gas in his body the reason he keeps floating, and is the only solution to put him in the fridge? Because we have a really small fridge and it's not exactly possible to put him in it, since I don't live alone.

The water is about 17 degrees (C), but I'm not 100% sure about that. I will start feeding him something else too, but it's really hard to find earth worms in the winter, and he always did good with this diet.

Old 3rd February 2010   #5
Tina
(callina)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org

yes, the gas is probably the reason for his floating and the reason for the gas may be the daphnia. They are much too small to fill an adult axies stomach.

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #6
Teun

Nationality:

I use these packages:
http://www.fishworldoldham.co.uk/Ima...%20Daphnia.jpg

and the're not that small, but i'll start feeding him more earth worms and the occasional gup. I found in this faq: Axolotls - Frequently Asked Questions that you can lower the water level so much he actually touches the floor and still floats. I'm trying this now.

Old 3rd February 2010   #7
Mt Waverley
(Stumpy)

Nationality:
Rep: Stumpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Lowering the water level will help your axie to feel a bit better, however I wouldn't recommend doing that to your tank. It's probably better to just scoop him out into a small tub, with just enough water so he can stand on the bottom of it. Then just float the tub in your tank.
If you lower the water level in your tank so significantly, you will risk damaging your tank water's cycle which could result in poor water quality in the future.

Have you tested the water for high levels of ammonia? That too can stress out your axolotl and make him float, not just the temperature. It's difficult for us to work out what's wrong with your axie if we don't know what his tank water is like.

Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #8
Eric
(Shizeric)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post

Have you tested the water for high levels of ammonia? That too can stress out your axolotl and make him float, not just the temperature. It's difficult for us to work out what's wrong with your axie if we don't know what his tank water is like.

I think if he has had the axolotl for 2 years, it isn't likely to be ammonia if it has been kept in the tank for that long.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #9
Blaze
(Blaze)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: Blaze has shown reliable knowledgeBlaze has shown reliable knowledge

Just because somethings bewen in a tank that long, doesn't mean it cannot have an ammonia spike. What if the tank wasn't cleaned out for a long time (water changes I mean). I just don't think it's something we should rule out =]

I hope your axolotl becomes well again.
Blaze.

Old 6th February 2010   #10
Teun

Nationality:

I lowered the water in my tank, but kept large ammounts of water in buckets just in case, and I saw him yesterday laying on the ground again! :) I added some more water to the tank, but it's still not full yet, I'm planning to do this in small ammounts since I ran out of old water now.. :)