Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl keeps floating

Teun

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my axolotl for about 2 years now, and he's always been healthy. But lately, it looks as he cannot stay on the ground anymore. He keeps floating on top of my aquarium, and tries really hard to get to the bottom (where the food is).

Sometimes he just hangs at the filter that sucks from the bottom up. What could be causing this? It has been quite cold outside, but the water isn't unusually warm.

I feed him daphnia from the pet store and I'm raising guppies for him in a seperate aquarium (but I haven't given him one yet).

I'm getting worried because it looks so sad.. :(

melfly

Reaction score
Another thing, what substrate do you use? ie sand, gravel.
And what is the temp of your tank

Mel

Teun

Reaction score
I have no substrate on the ground.

Is gas in his body the reason he keeps floating, and is the only solution to put him in the fridge? Because we have a really small fridge and it's not exactly possible to put him in it, since I don't live alone.

The water is about 17 degrees (C), but I'm not 100% sure about that. I will start feeding him something else too, but it's really hard to find earth worms in the winter, and he always did good with this diet.

callina

Reaction score
yes, the gas is probably the reason for his floating and the reason for the gas may be the daphnia. They are much too small to fill an adult axies stomach.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Lowering the water level will help your axie to feel a bit better, however I wouldn't recommend doing that to your tank. It's probably better to just scoop him out into a small tub, with just enough water so he can stand on the bottom of it. Then just float the tub in your tank.
If you lower the water level in your tank so significantly, you will risk damaging your tank water's cycle which could result in poor water quality in the future.

Have you tested the water for high levels of ammonia? That too can stress out your axolotl and make him float, not just the temperature. It's difficult for us to work out what's wrong with your axie if we don't know what his tank water is like.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Have you tested the water for high levels of ammonia? That too can stress out your axolotl and make him float, not just the temperature. It's difficult for us to work out what's wrong with your axie if we don't know what his tank water is like.

I think if he has had the axolotl for 2 years, it isn't likely to be ammonia if it has been kept in the tank for that long.

Blaze

Reaction score
Just because somethings bewen in a tank that long, doesn't mean it cannot have an ammonia spike. What if the tank wasn't cleaned out for a long time (water changes I mean). I just don't think it's something we should rule out =]

I hope your axolotl becomes well again.
Blaze.

Teun

Reaction score
I lowered the water in my tank, but kept large ammounts of water in buckets just in case, and I saw him yesterday laying on the ground again! :) I added some more water to the tank, but it's still not full yet, I'm planning to do this in small ammounts since I ran out of old water now.. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!